one

luke didn't try to, of course no one in his situation tried too, but every now and then he would find himself glancing over at the boy who sat in the back of the classroom. he tried not to stare for too long, but his eyes lingered for more time than he anticipated to, most of the time.

he would try so, so hard to keep his eyes focused on anything else in the room. there were plenty of other things to be looking, but it wasn't as easy as he wanted it to be.

luke could feel the familiar twisting on the inside of his stomach as the thoughts piled into his head. it was so incredibly wrong to be looking at a student in a way he shouldn't be. sometimes he would talk himself into believing that it was only his mind messing with him, telling him he only liked the idea of of michael, but not michael himself. hell, he never shared more than five words with the boy which puzzles luke and only makes him think; what is it about the young boy that intrigues him so much?

was it the way he bit his bottom, cherry red lip while taking down notes? or the way his eyebrows furrowed together and his rounded nose scrunched when he seemed to not understand the lesson. luke caught on to the little gesture and would further explain into more detail just for michael.

anyone could agree that michael was beautiful. it was the kind of beauty you wished you could paint, just so you could create everything amazing about him, but no matter how hard you tried, you could never put his beauty to justice.

luke didn't want to imply that he had a crush on michael. it was all a silly thing that he figured he was making up in his head. now he is just overthinking it into more than what it really is, which happened to be one of luke's worst quality's, overthinking.

luke watched the class take down notes as instructed. he is waiting for them to finish and he can't help but think how he ended up here in the first place. he never saw himself as an English teacher. he liked to read and that was about all of the connection he had to it.

when he was a boy, he loved music. he still did, of course, but in a different way. music helped him with a lot of problems when he was younger. he always thought that when he grew up, he was going to have a career in anything that involved music, but things changed. he likes to think that they changed for the best. that this is where he was always suppose to be, but never realized it. he loved kids. he loved guiding them and being able to hopefully help them out with their future. a part of him would always regret not trying harder to pursue something with music. he pushed that thought to the back of his head.

the bell went off, causing luke to be disrupted from his thoughts. everyone closed their notebooks and put away their belongings. the teacher said a simple have a nice day to everyone who passed by him to exit the room.

there was one boy in particular left in the room, still packing up his things, seeming as if he was in no kind of hurry to get out like the rest of the kids. that one boy happened to be michael.

"my hand was beginning to cramp up from all of those notes you had us take," michael says, a small smile on his lips indicating to luke that he was in fact, only trying to be a smart ass.

luke chuckles, "you will thank me later when you have to take a test on everything i had you write down."

"notes and a test? you're killing me."

michael untucks his collar neck from his from his pants before tossing his school bag over his shoulder. being at a private school, everyone wore very similar clothes, but somehow michael made it look so damn good.

"that's what i like to hear," luke jokes back.

michael, still with a smile on his lips, makes his way to the door, "have a great day, mr. hemmings."

"you too, michael."

luke let out a long, exaggerated sigh once he was alone. things had to change. he had to focus on his teaching, not a naive seventeen year old. he couldn't risk being fired, or worst, sent to jail. he wasn't going to ruin his life for a kid.