Ch. 73 - Trying

< Chapter 73: Trying >

♥ Justin’s POV: ♥

Once again, silence filled the room as Jamie and I continued to cuddle after a while. My arms were wrapped around her pregnant belly and my chin rested on the top of her head. We were watching T.V but, honestly, I wasn’t even paying attention or focusing on the show at all.

All I could think about was how many precious memories I’ve lost during the accident. And I know Jamie specifically told me not to beat myself up about it but, put yourself in my shoes, that would be kinda hard.

“I’ll get it,” Jamie said softly, and that was when I realized the doorbell rang. I hesitantly released her from my arms and she stood up, exiting the room as her footsteps were heard descending down the stairs. I let out a low sigh and got up after her, wondering who was at the door. I watched halfway through the staircase as she opened the door to reveal Scooter.

“Hey Jamie, how are you?” he smiled at her.

“I’m great, how have you been doing?” Jamie greeted back.

“A bit busy, though not too much. Is Justin in here?”

“Yep, he’s right upstai-”

“-Hey Scooter,” I interrupted, walking up behind Jamie.

“Ah, look who’s back on his own two feet,” he gave me a knowing smile.

I let out a small grin. “I’m a tough one,” I replied, pretending to show off my muscles. Scooter laughed and it didn’t take long for Jamie to join in. I let out a playful pout as they both calmed themselves down.

“You’re my tough little doofus,” Jamie cooed in my ear, making my heart skip three beats. I know she’s called me doofus a billion times before, including the day I came back from the hospital. But there was something different this time. I felt like she hasn’t called me that in ages, and for some reason it gave my heart this warm feeling.

I felt her lips press up against my cheek as she placed two light kisses on them, instantly making them blush a light red. When she pulled away, she looked straight into my eyes and I stared right back at her. We gazed lovingly at each other for what seemed like forever, and I took it as my chance to take in her beautiful features. That little playful smile she was holding onto at the corner of her lips, how her brows were placed in such a manner that let me know she was relaxed, how her nose remained as cute as ever and I was tempted to kiss it, and how her cheeks were a rosy red, simply because she was happy.

I inhaled a lungful of air and exhaled slowly, trying to keep my hormones in check so that I don’t end up doing something stupid.

“Well,” Scooter cleared his throat, breaking the attention Jamie and I had on each other so we could focus on him again. I kinda forgot he was even here in the first place. “I just came by to check up on you and, you know, make sure you’re okay and all.”