Chapter Sixteen: The Run Home

We’ve been running since the first ray of sunshine showed itself upon the horizon, Alpha Reid wanted to get there within a day so we left early hopping to reach the camp by afternoon. But with the way Drew is going I don’t know if we’re going to make that timeline.

We’re about half way at the moment, just relaxing beside a stream.

Tessa and I sit at the edge of the water but a bit away from the group not really wanting to be near them. But Tessa doesn’t want to be near Drew, she’s scared and we’ve all accepted that. Even Drew. But her brothers are getting more and more angry as the hours stretch on, because they don’t want to see their best friend lose himself. They haven’t said anything, which is good. Because I think Tessa is hating herself enough as it is, but she’s too scared to let him come near her. Which I don’t blame her for.

Alpha Reid and his mate Leah sit under the trees in the shade, just quietly observing everyone  and keeping an ear out for any Rogues or Hunters. Leah leans against her mate watching her daughter with a sad lost expression on her face, ever since we’ve been bad she doesn’t know what to do. She doesn’t know how to help her daughter. Alpha Reid just sits there with his eyes closed, while his mate watches Tessa then moves over to the three boys.

Nate and Trick sit on a flat rock with Drew stretched out between them, his big wolf head resting on the rough surface his brown eyes closed as he rests. Even in his wolf form I can see that he’s exhausted, his brown coat doesn’t have a shine to it which everyone else’s does, when he opens his brown eyes they are just hallow orbs staring off into nothing at times, other times looking longingly at Tessa from afar and he’s wobbly on his legs. But he still wanted to come, which is what I don’t get.

Tommy sits under a tree not far from Tessa and I, ever since I was introduced to him and his friends, I would go and talk to them at times, and they were like my second group. My group of brothers while Tessa and the girls; Rosalind, Silvy, Nevada and Odessa were my sisters. But since leaving them Tommy has stayed close to Tess and I. But neither of us mind, it’s nice to have his company.

Sebastian, the Guard my wolf saved on the run to The Copper Eyes Pack stands tall about five feet from me, his head moving in all directions, his green eyes taking in everything that’s happening around us at one time. Ever since we left this morning, he’s been close to me, Tessa and Tommy. Never letting any of us out of his sights.

I’ll admit Sebastian is a nice young male. My wolf speaks up for the first time today.

What do you mean? I question as I cast a quick glance in his direction.

He wasn’t afraid to thank you for saving him, most male wolves won’t say anything, but he’s also been right beside use since we left camp this morning. She explains.

My wolf brows knit together in confusion. I still don’t get what you mean.

She sighs heavily before replying to me, her voice holding a slight tone of frustration. He’s protecting you because he feels he owes you for saving him…

Ooh… I breathe out as I look toward Sebastian. My eyes flick to his side as I take in the scars from his fight with the wolf to save me. I thought wolves heal quickly. I say as I study each of the claws marks that leave slashes down his side and his fur parted.

We do. But I get a feeling that he’s able to focus on what he wishes to heal faster than others. See how the first one is fading faster than the rest? She asks, I look at the firs scar to see that it is only a pink line, the pink now fading to nothing as the next scar start to fade.

How is he able to do that? I ask as I continue to watch.

He’s an –. She starts to say but is interrupted by Sean, Jack and Reece emerging through the trees.