Chapter Nine: First Kill

Running in wolf form is exciting; I’ve never experienced anything like this before. It’s better than getting your first surprise present. It’s better than jumping out of a plane with a parachute – then again. . . I’ve never done that before. Maybe one day I will.

I can feel the breeze blowing through my fur as my feet pound against the dirt, leaf and sticks littered forest floor as I continue forward with the group towards what I'm hopping will be my ticket home.

Home. . . Where is that? Has it changed? Who will be happy when I return? Is my family still alive? Or are they dead? Would it be because of me? I wonder absent mindedly as I keep my timing with the young male wolf next to me, knowing that if I match his speed then I won’t fall behind.

I hear a savage snarl to my left on the other side of the wolf I’m staying pace with, I peer over his shoulder as a brown wolf leaps through the trees and collides with the young males side causing him to hit into me and bring us both down.

I stay still as the two wolves on top of me jump up and face each other, both wolves ready for a fight. I glance at the young male’s side as I catch the scent of blood, claws marks rake down the side of his body, blood oozing out of the deep indentations.

He’s standing strong, but I can see from the small tremors going through his legs that his energy is draining out through those horrid marks. In one motion the brown wolf leaps at the young male who responses instantly by swiping his front paw out while rearing back.

The brown wolf flies into a near tree, its body stumping to the floor for only a second before it starts to get back onto its feet. Shaking its large brown head to rid itself of the dizziness. The young male stands in front of me this time the tremors are even worse. The brown wolf sees this and sends the young male a wolfish grin before locking eyes with me. In a silent “your next” kind of way.

The brown wolf slowly moves forward his body tense as he prepares himself to pounce. The young male shakily watches the brown wolf’s advances his body rigid but I know that he won’t survive another attack.

Let me out! My wolf growls at me. I can feel her claws scraping on the inside of me as she tries to fight her way through the walls I’ve slowly been building up.

Why? What would you do? I question as I watch the brown wolf stork forward another two steps.

Kill him! Protect the Copper Eyes wolf. She snarls in my head.

The brown wolf glances at me briefly before turning its eyes back to its target. The young male shakes his head as he tries to keep himself strong. Knowing that he has to protect me, because it was part of his orders.

Fine! I think to my wolf just as the brown wolf leaps into the air. My wolf bursts forward through the walls instantly taking control of my mind, pushing me to the side. She pushes our legs under us and in one movement jumps up shoving the young male wolf to the side and lunging at the brown one.

Our claws dig into the chest of the brown wolf as we collide in mid-air; we both land on the ground a loud thudding noise echoing throughout the forest. My wolf lowers herself closer to the ground in a fighting stance as she lets a vicious snarl tear through our lips. The brown wolf growls back at us but not with quite so much venom, my wolf watches the brown wolf closely as it starts to move forward again.

My wolf lets another snarl out before she lunges at the brown wolf catching it off guard. She swipes her large front paw out smacking it into the brown wolfs head with a crunch. The brown wolf slams into the nearest tree.

It doesn’t stay down for long before it starts to get back up again. But my wolf is standing over it in an instant, our large black paw on its side as we hold it down – much like how the Alpha held the wolf down in the hallway.