Chapter Twenty-Three: Loud Music plus Drinks

Walking through the last row of buildings flashing lights hit my eyes causing me to squint as my eyes adjust to the sudden onslaught. The loud music could be heard from our house, but gradually increased in volume as we got nearer, now it feels like I’m standing inside the speaker system while it’s on fall volume.

I not quite sure what the song that playing is, all I know is that it has a fast beet that has everyone in the centre of the yard jumping up and down, one arm in the air, the other holding a drink. Large smiles adorn everyone’s faces as they let their worries ease for one night.

My brother and Claude wonder off over to the tables lined with food, but they pass those as they go to the eski’s helping themselves to a bottle of beer. Then they move over to one of the many fire pits littering the outside of the yard sitting down on a large log that had been dragged over as seating.

Tessa looks around her eyes full of awe as she takes everything in, she looks at me with a large smile on her face then hooks her arm through mine starting to walk over to the table of food. I reach back and latch onto Tommy’s arm pulling him along with us; he meets my eyes and smiles slightly trying to hide his disappointment that his brother won’t be here because he’s on patrol.

Instead of stopping at the food table Tessa by passes it like Noah and Claude did and heads over to the eski’s, lifting the lid on one she pulls out three bottle of beer, handing me one then one to Tommy who looks uncertain.

“Come on, have a good time.” She smiles, completely forgetting everything that’s happened in the past.

“I don’t know.” Tommy says glancing at the glass.

I bump my shoulder with his. “Come on just one.” I hold up a finger with an innocent smile.

He looks at me then Tessa heaves a sigh and opens the bottle. “Why not.”

I grin as I open my bottle, tipping it back and taking a swallow. I scrunch my nose up at the taste, looking over at Tessa and she does the same thing. Catching my gaze we both crack up laughing, Tommy looks between us like he’s missed a joke but shrugs it off with another swallow.

I follow suit.

After an hour of standing on the side lines drinking and talking Tessa and I decide that it looks more fun to join in with the crowd who are ‘dancing’ along with the music. So we manoeuvre our way into the crowd, the music changes to one that we were listening to on the radio today.

Joining in with everyone else, we give a cheer at the song then start jumping up and down, one arm in the air as we let the music take over our movements, becoming in sync with the beat and everyone around us.

I peer through the crowd to catch sight of my brother and Claude still sitting on the log, but as I watch I notice them slowly leaning toward each other, until their faces are inches apart. They hesitate for a second before closing the distance completely. Now there faces are in shadows but I can tell what they are doing.

I focus my attention back on Tessa as she closes her eyes briefly allowing the music to wash over her, taking away all her worries. When she opens them she gives me a warm smile then has another swallow of her drink. I look down at my empty bottle and shake my head, needing to get a new one.

Tommy appears next to us, three new bottles in hand as he smiles a knowing look in his eyes. I grin and take one from him doing what everyone else seem to be doing with their empty ones.

Throw it away.

Opening the new one I take a couple of swallows still jumping to the music, Tommy starts to too as the music gets to him. I notice that he starts to relax as he allows the music to sooth him. The song changes to one I’ve never heard of but still has a good beat to it so we continue dancing just like everyone else.