19- Stole my Heart

"Are the welcome drinks ready yet?" Meghan asks yelling from her room upstairs.

"Yeah, almost done" I reply dressing the cocktails with a touch of mint and storing them in the freezer of our kitchen. Our backyard had been decorated for a massive celebration. Meghan is celebrating her birthday by calling the most important businessmen from far and near and seizing this opportunity to expand her business.

She has had me working continuously since dawn so that everything runs perfect. She needs to impress those people so desperately that she's made me skip school and I am so tired that I bet I could fall asleep the moment my head hits the pillow.

"Annellie" I hear Carla yell and rush upstairs. I find Carla stood in front of her vanity and I help her pin up her blonde hair in an elegant bun and curl some locks letting them loosely frame her face. Carla and Carol are both very gorgeous with their perfect blonde hair and green piercing eyes that they put me to shame with my usual dark almost black hair and brown eyes.

As I try to pin up an unruly lock of Carla's hair back into place she gives out a frustrated yell, "Stop! You are hurting me."

Jeez, why does she have to yell so loudly?

"Sorry" I apologize trying to use less force as I try to fix the bobby pin in place.

"What is your problem Annellie?" She shrieks turning behind to snatch the bobby pin from my hand. I take a step back in surrender, God I was only trying to help her.

"You just hate the fact that I look a lot prettier than you tonight, don't you?" She sneers at me giving me a scrutinizing once over. She looks disgustingly at my plain purple dress. It isn't anything special, I just grabbed the first dress from my cupboard and just blow dried my hair. It's Meghan's birthday, not mine. But with the look she gives me it makes me feel self-conscious about my looks

"psh, you know I couldn't care less if I tried" I reply indifferently.

"Really?" She asks challengingly and advances towards me making me step further away in fear. My back hits the table behind me which stops me from further backing away. I hear glass crack as something falls from the edge of the table.

I turn behind and my eyes widen in horror to see Carla's new perfume break into a thousand pieces. Carla lets out an ear piercing scream and I immediately rush to bring in a broom. As I swipe the mess she keeps on yelling loudly at me, which I shrug off.

I do not reply and continue to collect the glass pieces carefully. Meghan just then enters the scene in a dazzling evening gown.

"What happened?" She inquires eyeing me in suspicion

"Annellie here broke the prized perfume you bought from Paris last week" Carla shrieks looking down at me in distaste

I get up from my position; the glass pieces set carefully in the dustpan that I hold. Meghan gives me a questioning glance and I jump in to defend myself, "it was at the edge of the table and I bumped into the table. It wasn't intentional"

"You liar, you did it on purpose" she yells accusingly at me

"It was on the edge of the table" I repeat, gritting my teeth and glaring at Carla. What is wrong with her? Just then a chime from the back door resounds in the entire house

"Out of the scene now!" Meghan commands and I bow my head down and move past her as she stands in the doorway. I hear Carla yelling at her mom something about injustice and Meghan sighing tiredly at her dramatic daughter. I try to stifle my giggle at the latter as I make my way to the backyard. I open the door and welcome a couple of businessmen in suits to the backyard with a smile.