15- Another Note, Another Day

"Here is your piece of trash" Carla says her tone filled with disgust as she hands me the phone after a very very long weekend. Meghan had grounded me of any devices for an entire weekend which was the most dreadful thing ever because I couldn't tune out their nonsense with music blaring in my ears.

I had spent the entire weekend working extra shifts in the coffee shop and convinced Meghan that it was my apology for missing my duty on Friday. And with her obtuseness she actually bought the lie. I stayed in the coffee shop most of the time to get away from the house. I just couldn't bear being near any one of them with the constant bantering between the sisters and Meghan's unfaltering yells.

When I returned back home on Friday Meghan was real pissed for I was out of the house for an entire evening without giving any information to anyone. She even went to the extent to call Adeline and asking her about my whereabouts. When Adeline had no answer her anger fumed and with her delusional thoughts she concluded that I must be with Daniel which only added salt to her burning wounds.

When I returned home I had to go through an entire hour about her repeatedly asking me about Daniel, the thought drove her mad. I kept reassuring her that I was just with another classmate working on an upcoming assignment. I didn't dare let her know about Alec, only God knows what theory her delusional mind would come up with.

Did I mention Meghan was actually a leading businesswoman, she had taken over dad's business completely after dad's death who had happily left all his fortune in her name? Daniel's father was the owner of a chain of companies which Meghan wanted hers to be partnered with. Her wicked mind actually came up with pretty evil schemes to keep a steady business over the years. She owned several shopping complexes around the city.

I snatched my cellphone from Carla's hand and shrugged at her. Picking my bag I headed outside to wait for Adeline's car. I was actually up early today in eagerness to get out of the house. I think I would be the only student that was so delighted at the arrival of Monday morning.

"I want you home early" Meghan says as I about to leave the door. I give her a convincing smile and walk out. Adeline's car just arrived and I slip into it. She gives me a once over followed by a questioning glance to my early arrival.

"How are you early?" she asks as she starts the car

"Can't I just be early?" I retort

She stares at me and shakes my shoulder lightly whilst keeping her eyes on the road, "Where is my best friend? What have you done to her?" she questions

"God! You have no faith in me" I say exasperated

She chuckles and her laughing doubles when she hears me say, "Meghan had me grounded for an entire weekend. I don't understand why I wouldn't be glad to walk out of that house on a Monday morning"

She replies with, "I knew it"

"What actually happened? Did you get into a lot of trouble?" she asks me, her laughter had subsided and her tone was filled with concern

"Actually I just returned home when you called and yeah Meghan screwed me for staying out late for so long" I say looking down at my hands sheepishly

"Maybe she was worried," Adeline says

I give her a pointed glare and she shuts up, "She doesn't give a damn about me. It was just that I missed going to the coffee shop on Friday and she was angry that I disobeyed her orders" I say

"You only work in the coffee shop on Fridays to Sundays, how could you forget?" she asks me questioning my carelessness

"I guess I lost track of time" I defend myself