13- I miss you

"You are the ray of sunlight that pierces through the sky after a heavy snowfall,

the rainbow that sets hopes high,

the morning dew on the leaves,

the stars that shine in the dark of the night,

you are the words that I cannot express and the beauty that hitches my breath every time,

You mean everything to me but I fail to make you understand every time...

                                                                                               -Sky"

The familiar nickname I used to call Daniel tugs a painful memory. Even though he called me an idiot at first for nicknaming him after the color of his eyes, he didn't mind it one bit. He thought it was like a little secret between us, something special just for us. Like how he called me Ell and no one else did. We were just weird like that, but that's what made us special. It made him and me, 'us'. Even though we were pretty much the golden couple of the school, after all what else would you call the star quarterback and sunshine together, these little things made us different and unique from the stereotyped golden couples pulled out of romantic novels. We both were popular but when we were together, there was nobody else in this world, we never cared about what people thought because it wasn't them that mattered but it was us that mattered.It was just me and him.

My heart skips a beat and a layer of pink dusts my cheek as I stare at the note in my hand. I can feel the heat in my cheeks and at that moment I miss him...

I miss the way his calloused hands found mine in the crowds, the way his fingers interlocked with mine making me feel like I had the world, , his sky blue eyes as they gazed at me as if I'm the only one that mattered , the way he sent those little texts all day that made me smile like an idiot every single time, the adrenaline running through me as I skipped classes just to be with him, the way his hand found home on my waist and mine rested on his shoulder as we danced the night away below the starlit sky, his gentle kisses as the sun rose marking the end of dawn and beginning of a beautiful relationship two years ago.

"Autumn" I hear Alec call,waking me up from my trance. Daniel has and always will have an effect on me,no matter how much I try to deny it or pretend like I'm fine. Alec stands a few feet away slowly advancing to my side. His weird nickname for me brings my thoughts back to the present. I don't know since when but he just started calling me Autumn all of a sudden and I just played along.

"You done? You were standing there like a statue" he asks

"Yeah I am" I reply swiftly pushing the rest of my books back into my locker and grabbing my bag.                                                                                                                                                                                               I crush the note and stuff it in the pocket of my bag hoping Alec doesn't  notice.

"Come on then," he says taking my hand in his and leading me to the parking lot where Adeline stands beside her car.

"Hey, what happened?" I ask looking at her glum expression

"Mom called, she wants me to babysit the neighbor's son or something" she says

"Aww" I cooed at her