Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I briefly woke up when I felt myself being lifted out of the car. When did I fall asleep? What time is it? I open my eyes slightly to see a dark shape coming closer to me. Is someone carrying me? I rub my eyes tired eyes looking around me. Jessa catches my eye. “Hey sleepy head, we’re here.” I think that’s what she said. It’s really dark out and hard to see her lips at the moment. I’m still in a daze as she opens, what looks like, the front door of the house and flicks on a light making my eyes burn. I turn my head into the soft fabric of Noah’s shirt. I feel his chest rumble as he says something. I turn back to look where we’re going, but I’m too tired to care really. I feel my eyes drooping as Noah ascended the stairs….

I finally woke up to the feeling of the sun shining on my face. I blinked, feeling fully rested for the first time in what seems like years. I turn over in the bed pulling the extremely soft fabrics to my face. I was so used to the stiff, starch covered blankets that the feeling of this fabric softened, perfectly washed blankets were sending me to cloud 9. It’s the little things in life that make you the happiest. I looked around to find the source of the bright sunlight that woke me up. There was a row of large windows that extended from the ceiling to about half way down the wall on the opposite side of the room from me that had the drapes pulled back. The room was more than I could ever imagine. There was a large desk in the corner that had a lamp and a couple sheets of paper on it. Next to it was a fancy looking bookcase that was already half full of books and little trinkets that flowed with the room. It was like out of a magazine. There are light purple walls, hardwood floors with a large purple are rug covering most of the floor. I sat up in the bed and looked around from my bed to get a better look at the other half of the room. You see my bed had shelves on one side of it for storage, covered in soft pillows so I didn’t knock into it.

The other side of the room was just as amazing as the first. There was a window seat that was next to another widow showing into what looks like the backyard. It had a cushion on the seat and pillows all around so it was comfortable. I sat down on it and smiled looking at all the pictures and paintings on the little wall that wasn’t covered my windows. The brightness of the room cheered my spirits up. It didn’t need the light on the ceiling to illuminate everything; the sun did it for it. It was sophisticated, not childish like the rooms I had before. A reflection on large TV connected to the wall across my bed- the only part of that wall not covered by windows- made me look towards the door. Jessa was standing in the doorway watching me. ‘Do you like it? I designed it from what your social worker said you liked.’ She signed walking in rubbing the cool dark furniture of the nightstand.

‘It’s amazing, thank you.’ I signed back walking towards her. ‘Where will I keep my clothes? There is no dresser.’ She gave me sympathetic smile. I don’t know what for, before I was used to hospitals with just dressers or was it because she knew I lived out of the boxes I brought for years…Maybe it’s just early and she’s tired. I’m not good with reading people without knowing them. You’d think I’d be able to since I can’t catch the change in there voice when they show emotions, but I can’t read it. Not a strong suit. I’m working on it, it’s not easy.

‘There is a closet over there with shelves and a place to hang your clothes. Come, I’ll show you.’ She pointed to a door on the other side of the room from the window seat. It was a large walk in closet with a little seat in the middle. Wow. They have to have an amazing amount of money if they are giving this room to a foster kid. ‘There is a door through there that goes to the bathroom, but also another in the room.’ I looked around at the empty shelves and hangers in shock. Not even all my clothes would fit into the corner of this closet.

‘This is too much; I don’t have that much stuff.’ I shook my head. Most of my clothes are hammy downs that I was given or some clothes I found, a lot just unclaimed from the hospital.

“Oh, Amira, when you live in this household, you’ll have more clothes than sense. Noah spoils us so much. I have more than enough clothes but that man keeps giving me more.” She giggled. It’s easier for me when she talked instead of signed. I’m so used to worlds since no one ever really knows sign language. White boards are my best friends as I don’t enjoy talking to people. It not that I can’t talk, oh I can. I just don’t know how I’ll sound so I won’t talk. Well, unless I’m really comfortable with them, but that hasn’t happened in a very long time. It’s been a while since I’ve even spoken a single word, I guess since I can’t hear it, I’ll be selfish and no one can hear it.

‘Why does he always give you clothes?’ I signed wrinkling my nose. That’s an odd present. I tapped my lips to show her it was easier on me if she just talked, not that I didn’t appreciate, I did so much. She cared about how I felt and that in itself made my heart sing happily.

“He owns a couple clothing brands so gets a lot of free clothes as well as he gets some amazing, one of kind, clothes just for his girls.” I smiled at how much in love her and Noah are. I’d kill to just have an ounce of that love. She opened the door to the bathroom and waited for me to walk in. This whole room, clothes and bathroom included, is bigger than some of my old foster houses. It is amazing! The shower was one of those fancy, pull off the wall shower heads as well as another head that made it rain on you. I’ve always seen those commercials with those showerheads; I’ve always wanted to try it. Next to the shower was a Jacuzzi bathtub that looked to be big enough for about 5 people; a marble sink next to a linen closet. This bathroom was bigger than some of my old rooms. I turned around to look as Jessa. “I’m going to make Breakfast, how about you take a shower and meet me down there?” I nodded looking at the handles of the shower. My eye brows scrunched together. She gave what I think was a giggle and pressed some buttons and the shower came right on. She showed me how to change the temperature before walking out. I walked back into the room to see my boxes in the corner. I pulled out an outfit and walked back into the bathroom and right into the shower. It was an experience, something I won’t forget for a long time.

I walked out of the room running my fingers though my wet, knotty hair. I really need to get a new hair brush, my other one snapped in half last week. Now the challenge at hand is finding my way to the kitchen in this amazingly huge house. I walked down the hallway passing a bunch of doors before finally getting to a staircase. The kitchen was only a little while a way from the front door and like the rest of the house, it was huge. It liked like it could feed an army, not one small family. It was all stainless steel, fancy wood cabinets, and marble countertops. Jessa was making what smells like cinnamon French toast. I sat down on the stool next to the breakfast bar and watched as she –what it looked like- hummed to a song. I watched her do a little twirl before seeing me. “Oh! Amira! I thought you’d take longer.” She blushed putting the French toast on a plate and handing it to me.

‘It was a very nice shower.’ I smiled picking up my fork. I love French toast, it is my favorite food. I haven’t had a good one in a very, very, long time.

“Eat up, we’ll leave after you’re done. There is more over on the counter if you want. I’m just going to tell Noah we’re going now,” I looked up at the ceiling before looking back at her. She smiled. “He left early for work, some shipment is late or something.” She rolled her eyes. “Married to his work.” She muttered going into the other room. I savored the flavor of my toast before wiping my mouth on my napkin. Jessa came in and smiled putting the food away.  ‘You ready?’ She signed to me. I nodded putting my plate in the sink as Jessa smiled at me. “This is it, Amira. This is the start of your new life.” She opened the front door, as if she was really opening a new door for me. Here we go…