Chapter Twenty Two

I sipped my tea looking at my parents. Ever since I’ve gotten home from the hospital, they have been watching me nonstop.  Jessa wouldn’t even let me watch TV alone. She sat reading a book, looking up every so often at me. Then, when Noah came home he just sat there next to me, with my feet on his lap. Jessa went off to do what she had to. I know that they just wanted to make sure I didn’t have another seizure, even after the doctor said it was because my fever got too high.

We were sitting at the table now, after dinner. “Please, stop.” I finally said after five minutes of them staring at me. Jessa blinked unsure.

“Stop what?” She asked looking over to Noah.

“Stop acting like I’m going to drop at any moment. I know that look. I’ve seen it my whole life.” Noah put his coffee down.

“I’m sorry, Amira.” Jessa took his hand in hers. “We just worry.” Jessa nodded, her eyes glossing over.

“It was so hard to watch, I just don’t want it to happen again. The nurses and doctors knew just what to do. We don’t and that’s what is the scariest.” I sighed.

“I have seizures. You knew that when you first saw me. I’ve been dealing with them for so long; they are just part of me. But I can’t have you looking at me like I’m broken and I’m going to brake in front of you. It makes me feel useless.”

“You are not broken and you are not useless. It scared us to death. We were so worried and we really thought we were going to lose you. We love you, Amira.” I looked down at my tea. Noah stood up and put his head on top of mine. He kissed my head.

“You go get some sleep. We are going to make some calls, get you a treat. Go watch a movie. Do as you please, my lovely.” I nodded to her standing up. Aspen came trotting over to me nudging my leg. I walked up stairs and curled up on my bed. I laid back on the pillows and put my laptop in front of me. I was snuggled under my blankets watching a movie when I felt someone curl up next to me making me look over to Gunner as he moved the pillow.

“What are you doing?” I asked him as he pulled the blanket over himself.

“Getting comfortable.” He put his head on my shoulder. I snuggled back into my pillow looking at him.

“How did you get in here?” He winked at me.

“Jessa let me in while Noah did some business in his office.” I turned back to my computer and continued to watch my movie. I felt comfortable with Gunner. Something I don’t feel very often. I started to drift off when I felt Gunner move. I looked over to see him leaning over to my nightstand. Jessa handed him a glass of water and my pills. “Here, Tink.” I took the pills and swallowed some water.

“Thank you.” I looked up at Jessa.

“You want me to kick him out so you can sleep?” I shook my head giving her the glass back. I smiled at her as she pointed to Gunner. “You watch yourself or I’ll come in here and beat you up.” He smiled at her as she walked out.

“I have to get going soon. I just wanted to check on you.” I smiled at him, who was lying back in my bed. “School starts up soon.” I grunted.

“I don’t want to go.” He looked down at me.

“Not looking forward to it?” I shook my head.

“I hate school. There is always someone who makes fun of me.” The bed moved as he sat up. He tugged at my hand.

“I will not let anyone hurt you.” He put his hand on mine. I clutched his hand tightly.

“You promise?” He nodded giving my hand a squeeze before letting go.

“I have to get to work.” He smiled as I went to get up. “Stay here, finish your movie. I’ll text you later, Tinks.” He turned the lights off. I snuggled into my pillows, closing my eyes and slowly falling asleep….

****

Aspen was trotting next to me as I walked down the street towards a park near the house. I was dying of boredom in the house and being stir crazy which made me take a walk. Jessa had me have my phone on me and only be allowed out for 2 hours before she comes looking for me or calls the cops. She’s not afraid that I’d run away, just that I’d get lost or hurt. There is a nice playground that has a swing set that I have wanted to go to.

There was a girl sitting on a swing making me sit on a bench behind her. She was beautiful, her dark hair clipped back behind her head. She had on a long summer dress that was bunched around her as she sat. I sat behind her and took my sketch book out, beginning to draw the picture. I was covered in grey from I noticed the shadow above me. The girl was staring intently at the drawing, then at me. My stomach dropped as fear shot through me.

“Hi.” I gripped the book tightly, not knowing what to do. The fear clenched my throat shut. “Can I see?” I ran my eyes over her face, looking for the tell tale sign of anger that I know so well. I couldn’t find any. I handed her the book slowly watching as she sat next to me. “This is amazing.” She smiled at me. Her eyes were kind, making me relax.

“Thank you.” I said quietly looking down. Not wanting to see her laugh at me. I peeked up at her fearing the worst. She was still looking at it. She finally looked up at me.

“I can’t even, wow. You’re amazing.” I blushed looking away. When I looked up she was still talking about something. I gave her a confused look.

“I’m sorry, but…” I gave her a confused look. “I can’t, I can’t hear.” I shook my head. “I’m deaf.” She put her hand over her mouth. I saw her cheeks move as she talked. I pulled her hand away from her mouth with a smile.

“Oh I’m crazy. I’m sorry.” She sighed shaking her head. “Arabelle.” I took her hand.

“Amira.” She looked at Aspen as moved against my leg.

“I probably should have realized it seeing this one.” I smiled at her. “Are you new around here?” I nodded.

“I’m going to start at the high school next week.” Her eyes lit up.

“Really? Edgewood High?” I nodded. “We can be friends. I think we’ll be good friends.” I smiled at her happily.

“I don’t really have many friends. You know.” She giggled as I tapped my head. My phone buzzed in my pocket making me pull it out. “I have to get back home.” I looked back at her. I really like this girl. I think we could be good friends. “Here. Put your number in.” She typed in her numbers as it vibrated again.

“Here you go.” She handed it back to me. “It was nice to meet you.” I smiled at her.

“You too.” I got up as Aspen stretched and yawned. I grabbed his harness and he was at my leg. I waved at Arabelle as I started to walk back to the house. Aspen took me home, to Jessa who was standing on the front step.

“Oh you had me worried.” She pulled me into a hug kissing my face.

“I was fine. I liked it.” She looked me over to make sure I’m okay. “I met this nice girl. Look.” I showed her my book. She smiled at me giving it back.

“You are just too good. I made some sandwiches. Noah is going to be home in a couple hours so you need to get in the shower.” I sat down at the table as she poured me a drink.

“Where are we going?” I asked taking a bite. She shook her head.

“I’m not telling you. Good try.” I pouted at her. “Finish so you can get ready.”