Chapter Twenty One

I sat cross legged on the bed petting Aspen, who would not leave my side. Jessa left the room a little while earlier and came back in with Noah, this time with a coffee in her hands and a nurse with a wheel chair. “They are going to be taking you upstairs.” I sat up and looked at her. Her eyes were swollen and red from crying. I sat myself in the wheelchair looking away from my parents. Aspen kept his body next to the wheelchair the whole way up to the room, looking at me with his big eyes every so often.

I gave him a smile and a pat on the head. He isn’t a really good hearing dog but he sure as hell is an amazing seizure detection dog and a good friend. We were rolled into what looked like an expensive part of the hospital that was new. It was brand new and designed like a hotel. They took me to a room by the nurse’s station and opened the sliding door.

The nurse rolled me over to the bed and hooked up my IV to the pole on the bed. Jessa pulled back the covers and helped me into the bed. “Get some sleep, Baby.” She kissed my head and tucked me in. I watched her turn the lamp out and walk out of the room, closing the door. She clutched Noah tightly in her arms before I turned over on the bed and looked out the window…

I sat cross legged on the bed playing my game when I saw the door open. I looked over the screen at Gunner. He gave me a half smile. “Where’s Jessa?” He asked walking further into the room.

“She went to go get food.” I closed the game and looked at him. “What can I do for you?” He smiled sitting on the bed, coping my pose.

“Brought you a get well soon gift bag.” I took it from him as he stole my game. I took the Tinkerbell bag and opened the zipper. Inside it were all Tinkerbell items. I giggled, pulling out the pajamas and the stuffed doll.

“Thank you.” I hugged it to my chest. He looked up with a smile before back down. I put the tea cup on the nightstand and put the slippers on my feet.

“You finally chose the book you wanted to read?” He asked giving up on the game and looking at me.

“Yeah, Jessa said I would like it. It was okay. I finished it last night. Couldn’t sleep.” I leaned on my knees and sighed. “I hate it here, Gunner. I want to go home.” I could feel the tears prinking my eyes. He sighed, taking my hands in his.

“You need to get better. This is the best way.” I turned his hands over and looked at the rough skin.

“I know, but it’s so hard. I’ve lived in these places so long that I hate them. I keep thinking they are just going to leave me here and I’m back where I started. Alone.” Gunner stared at me, not saying anything for a while.

“Amira, they love you. This proves it.” He tapped the locket on my chest. “They would never leave you.” I picked at the lint on my pants.

“I know, I just….worry.” I sighed leaning my head on my hands. Gunner gave me a half smile as the door opened. Jessa walked in with a large bag. Gunner got off the bed and gave her a polite smile.

“Am I interrupting?” She smiled wiggling her eyebrow at me when he wasn’t looking. I blushed looking away from her. Gunner looked back at me, smiling.

“I’ll come back tomorrow. Text me, Tinks.” He winked making me blush even redder and fall back on the bed. He closed the door as Jessa turned to me giggling.

“What did he bring you?” She took the spot he just got up from and picked up the bag of things he gave me, giving me the food in return. I picked at the bag looking through it. Jessa went to my favorite restaurant and picked up my favorite food, and a thermos of tea. I poured her and myself a cup looking up at her. She was looking at me as pulled the rolling table closer to me.

This wing of the hospital was quiet. There aren’t many people around. My room is almost as big as my one at home. It is the expensive part of the hospital that is for the wealthy and is probably costing my parents a fortune. They even have fancy food, which I rather not have. I picked at my breakfast this morning and for lunch Noah brought me sushi.

For people who have only known me for a couple weeks, they know me sometimes more than I know myself. “He is going all out with Tinkerbell thing.” She smiled putting the bag down and helping me lay out the food. It even came with fancy silverware.

“I don’t mind it. Makes me feel wanted.” I smiled at her taking a bite of a roll. The nurse came in to give me my medication in my IV. “Is Noah coming again later?” I asked her looking up. She nodded.

“Of course. If he didn’t have work he would be here too.” I looked down at my bowl moving it around. Jessa put her hand on my knee making me look up at her.

“Why the long face?” I shrugged.

“I feel bad. You guys spend so much money on me and I give nothing in return.” Jessa frowned at me.

“You are our child. We take care of you because we love you and want what is best for you. And we wouldn’t have it any other way.” The nurse gave me a pill cup. I took the pill with a sip of my tea.

“Thank you.” I nodded turning back to my food. Jessa pulled her phone out of her pocket as I ate half of my food before closing the container. She got off the bed and walked out of the room talking. Aspen jumped on the bed and looked at me over the table. I pushed the table away from the bed and threw him a piece of bread. He munched on it as Jessa came back in. She gave me a look making me giggle.

“You up for another visitor?” She asked sitting down on the chair in the corner. She pulled the table to her and continued to eat. I shrugged.

“I don’t see why not.” I rubbed at my eyes as my left one twitched because of my medication. I took a shower and sat back down on the bed in clean clothes. Jessa was texting when she looked up and at the door. I blinked as Noah opened the sliding door and an older woman walked in with a bag. Noah put his hand on her back and smiled at me.

“Amira, this is your grandmother.” I looked at Jessa who was watching me. The older woman smiled at me, her eyes turning bright blue showing her laugh lines. I could see Noah in her face.

“I’m so happy to finally meet you.” She said walking over to me and putting the bag on the bed. “You are everything my son told me about.” She took me into her arms and clutched me tight. I wrapped my arms around her as she stroked my back. I looked over to Noah and Jessa, who had the biggest smiles on their faces as Noah held her in his arms.

My grandmother pulled back and looked me up and down. “You’re so beautiful.” She wiped her eyes turning to my parents saying something. I put my feet under the blanket and watched them as they talked, but it didn’t make sense as it was only one sided. She turned back to me and pulled something out of her bag. “I made this for your bed. Jessa said you liked these colors.” I clutched the fabric in my hands, my eyes wide. I pushed it to my chest and put my cheek on the softness.

“Thank you.” I wrapped it around my shoulders and snuggled into it. I started to feel my medication kick in and my eyes felt heavy. Jessa looked to her mother-in-law as I yawned then to Noah. He turned to look at me and then smiled.  I couldn’t understand what he said to Jessa but I watched him spread the quilt over me as I got comfortable in the bed. He tucked me in and kissed my head.

“Get some sleep, I’ll be right back.” I closed my eye and nodded at him before falling asleep…