Chapter Five

Being here at a carnival for the first time, it was amazing. The smells alone were making me giddy with excitement. The whole place smelled of nothing but frying food and sugary snacks. It made my stomach rumble happily. They took me on all the rides, even the scary ones. We finally stopped to eat hours later. “What do you want, Amira?” Noah asked looking around at all of the food stations then back at me.

‘There’s so much…’  I signed to Jessa looking around at all of them. Noah pointed to a table.

“You two go sit, I’ll get the food.” I sat down at the table and looked around the organized chaos. Everyone was getting food, laughing, and just plain having fun. I watched a little boy with a glow stick case his little sister as they both giggled. I felt Jessa’s hand on my arm making me turn to her.

“Are you having fun?” She smiled at me. I nodded enthusiastically at her. “Have you ever been to a carnival before?” I shook my head.

“Not that I can really remember, no. But I think my mom took me to one when I was young.” I said looking over as Noah came over with a box of food.

“I got corn dogs, hotdogs, fried chicken fingers, corn on a stick, and chips. After we’re getting pop corn, cotton candy, and all the deep fried food your stomach can hold.” He put the food in front of us and my stomach started to gargle in excitement. The smells alone were making my mouth water.

“Do you remember a lot about her? Your Mom?” I picked up a corn dog and dipped it in the ketchup. By the look on Jessa’s face I knew she was trying to tread lightly, not knowing how I’d take the question.  I don’t blame her. It’s deep question on a sore subject. It may has been 12 years she’s gone, but I still remember her like it was last week. Noah looked over at her with a scolding expression. I gave her a reassuring smile as her eyes clouded with fear.

“I remember things; a lot of things about her, about when I was with her. I remember when she’d read to me and when she’d sing and dance. It’s getting hard now though. They’re getting cloudy.” I looked up at them. “I don’t remember her as well as I used to. The bad is out weighing the good. I wish I could remember her better.” Jessa blinked not expecting my response.

“Do you have any pictures of her?” I shook my head.

“I was only five when it happened. They didn’t give me anything.” I shrugged biting my hot dog. Jessa gave Noah a, ‘we’re talking about this later’ look as he picked up a chicken finger. “So, who’s in your family?” I asked clearing my throat to pull them out of their wordless conversation. Jessa gave me a forced smile.

“Well, there is my mother and father who are ecstatic to meet you. My mom has hearing problems just like you.”

“That’s why you know sign language?” I asked getting a little piece of the puzzle of the new life I’m in.

“Yes, Ma’am. I’m an only child but Noah isn’t.” She smiled over to him. He rolled his eyes knowing what she was getting at. It was fun to watch them interact, they’re so cute together.

“There is my Mother and Father, then my brother and then my little sister. My brother has a little girl about 8 years old and my sister has two boys little younger then Claire.” I wrinkled my nose.

“I’m the oldest?” He laughed.

“Yes you are. You’ll be the oldest, but that’s not a bad thing. You get the upper hand.” I giggled as we finished off our dinner. “Now we’re getting ice cream and fried food, then some games before we start heading home.” Jessa must have got a phone call because she waved us off and walked to take it. We got some things and chose a game.