Chapter Six

I woke up briefly to give a drowsy hug to Jessa before she left.  I woke again as I felt a hand on my shoulder.  I open my eyes weakly to see Noah propped up on the end of my bed dressed in his usual fancy expensive suit. “What time is it?” I yawned running a hand through my hair trying to blink away the sleepiness in my head.

“It’s a little after seven o’clock. We have to get going soon, though. Do you want me to make you some breakfast?” I shook my head instantly making the corners of his mouth twitch in amusement.  Noah cannot cook to save his life. He can grill to no end, but making something to grill. No can do. “Come on or I’m going to be late.” He smiled getting off of my bed and opening my curtains. I rubbed my eyes and dragged my body out of bed and towards the spare room in my room, oh I mean my closet. It’s bigger than most rooms I’ve grown up in.

This house still amazes me with its size. How can Jessa and Noah live in here alone? I’ve be lonely, and I never get lonely. It’s hard to get lonely when you’ve been alone for so long. I pull out a light striped hoodie from the bag stuffed in a cabinet. It’s my favorite piece of clothing I have. It is just so soft, even after all these years. I grab a random pair of jeans from the pile.

 I need to figure this out. It’s so much that I can’t even wrap my head around the amount that Jessa bought for me. I have a small department store in here. I grab a pair of sneakers and make my way into my bathroom to follow through with my daily routine. I walk down stairs as Noah comes back into the house. “Good you’re ready. It’s just a short drive to Seattle.” He smiled up at me as I roll my hoodie sleeves up.

 “You seem excited.” I muse as we leave the house and go to the car. I look at it and raise my eyebrows at him. How many cars does he have? I’ve only seen the Audi, the Mercedes, and now the Bentley. I have a feeling there are more. Noah likes his cars.

“I love my work, why wouldn’t I be excited?” He asked unlocking the door. I’ve met few people that love their work. Well, only one really. My social worker, and she makes next to nothing. “This company is my baby, Amira. I started it right out of college and now it’s world known. It’s my pride and joy.” I pulled on my seatbelt and looked at the sleek interior of the car. This car is probably more expensive than some of the houses I’ve lived in.

 I look at Noah as he studies me. “You have a very nice car.” I smiled messing with the buttons on the front as he pulls out. The engine purrs as he pulls out.  This is a really nice car, even if it’s crazy expensive.

“Have you ever been to Seattle before?” I shook my head as we pulled onto I-5.

“Not that I can remember. But then again, I haven’t really been many places. I’d love to travel. My mom used to tell me these stories about exotic places she’s been to.” I smiled to myself remember all of my mother’s stories.  They probably would have sounded crazy to anyone else, but to a five year, they sounded like paradise.

“Do you remember a lot about your mother?” The look on Noah’s face tells me he regrets the question right as he asked it. Not many people ever asked about her. It’s a rough topic for most people, but to me, it’s not. I feel like if I don’t think about her, or talk, it’s like she’s forgotten. His eyes search my face as we got stuck in the morning traffic.

“I remember certain things. A doctor told me for a kid who went through what I did,” I sighed. What I went through. I shake my thoughts and look back at Noah. “They usually either forget everything or remember everything.” His eyes softened at me. He isn’t a small guy. He’s strong, big- well to me- and as the no-bullshit-face. Just to see his eyes soften, like he does care, makes a knot form in my throat. No ever cared.

The rest of the car ride was in silence, well I think it was. I didn’t look at Noah to see if he was trying to tell me something. I doubt he was though; he would have got my attention if he needed it. I just sat looking out the window fighting the emotions that wanted to escape. I watched as Noah pulled into an extremely tall building glass building’s parking lot and smiling at the guard at the gate. “Good Morning, Mr. Bennett.” He smiled and opened the gates.