Chapter Four

Noah stared down at me in shock. I ran my fingers over his fancy watch as he pulled his thoughts together. “What?” I shrugged.

“I don’t want to go.” He blinked in surprise, again. I giggled at his face, I know I haven’t talked in, well, a long time but still, he looked so shocked. Like I just told him the Jets won a super bowl, yeah that surprised. He snapped out of his state by shaking his head. Realization lit up his eyes, then the sympathy and sorrow.

“You saw that?” I nodded slowly as if contemplating my answer. “Amira…I...” I looked up at him. He looked like he was trying to find the words to say to me. “Oh Amira, you don’t have to go anywhere.” I smiled as him pulled me closed to him and kissed my head. “You’re staying with us.” I closed my tired eyes. I opened them again as I felt Noah’s arms moving, startling me. “Have you been up all night?” He smiled weakly brushing my hair out of my face. I was still curled up in his lap, my feet tucked under his leg.

“I couldn’t sleep.” I mumbled, the long hours of restlessness catching up to me. It’s weird talking to someone. But to me, it’s like letting go of a little part of my deep, dark past. It made me feel lighter, happier even. There are leeches on my body, and I let one go. It’s refreshing.

“Come on, off to bed.” He stood up carrying me to my room. I could walk, but it made me smile being carried off to bed like a little child that falls asleep on the couch. It’s something I didn’t really get to experience as a child; my real parents were gone by the time I could remember. It makes me feel like I could have a family again, start over. “I’m going to plan something for later today.” He smiled laying me down in my bed. “You get some rest; we have a lot of bonding time to make up for.” I smiled up at him as I curled up to fall asleep in the warm, inviting sheets, of my bed. Still in my tired state I felt someone stroke my hair before slipping into the final descent of sleep…

I woke up much later, the sun was up and my window was open making the warm breeze coming through. I wrapped my quilt around my shoulders and walked down stairs. “Look who decided to finally wake up.” I stuck my tongue out at Jessa and sat down at the island. I rubbed my eyes as she walked over to the stove. “I’ll make you a sandwich, its lunch time.” I nodded taking a bottle of water off the counter. “Noah told me what you and he talked about.” I raised my eye brows at her as she started to make the sandwich. “He told me about what you overheard.” I wanted to look away but I couldn’t as I knew she wasn’t done talking. “I wasn’t going to let him give you back, Amira.” I smiled at her.

“I know, I just,” She blinked as she heard me talk for the first time. “I really like it here.” She smiled at me putting the sandwich in front of me.

“I’m glad you do.” She turned away from me to get something from the fridge.

“What will we be doing today?” I asked her as she sat down. I took a bite of my sandwich watching her.

“Well I know Noah has something planned for later, able we stay in till then? It’ll only be a couple of hours.” I nodded.

“We can organize my closet?” She beamed at me walking over to her steaming teapot.

“Of course! I love that, it’s part of my job. Would you like some tea?” I nodded at her, I love tea. “Did you take your medication, Love?” I blinked and shook my head as she went and grabbed the bottle. “We’re going to take you to a doctor around here, see if he can control your seizers better.” I took my pill and swallowed as she made steaming cup of tea.

“I like your cup.” I smiled at the little cartoon characters on it. “I love cute cups. They used to make my day.” I looked up from the cup to look at her. I had a couple of really cute ones but one of my foster parents broke them all.

“I love them too,” She opened the cabinet to show me some. “I have a little collection. Noah buys me one every place he goes. We’ll have to start you up one.” I took the tea she handed me, trusting her to give me a good one. I put my sugar in the warm liquid stirring it.

“Let’s get this over with.” I sighed sipping my tea standing up….

I looked up from my book as Jessa finished up sorting and putting the clothes away. She really is good at it. She was working so fast and so well I just curled up on a chair in the corner of the closet and finished my book. Watching her work was amazing, she’d color coded all the clothes by type, the dresses in one section, t-shirts, shorts, and jeans. “We’ll have to get you fall clothes soon, the weather will be changing and getting colder.” She said as she picked up the jewelry box and the bag of jewelry.

“More clothes?” I asked surprised. She smiled putting some bracelets in the draws.

“You’ll need it, Kid. It gets pretty cooled around here.” I looked out of the skylight in the closet trying to figure out what I’d be like in winter here. I looked over to the door as I felt the door to my bedroom open. I smiled as Noah walked into the closet holding a bag in his hands.

“What do you have this time?” Jessa said suspiciously narrowing her eyes at her husband. He looked at me and held the bag out.

“We’re going out. I got you this for tonight.” I took the bag and opened it up. “It’s going to be a little cold, so there is a sweatshirt as well.” I pulled out the top and smiled holding it up to my chest. “You’ll look great in it; it brings out your eyes.” I pulled out the rest of the outfit. I’ve never had an entire outfit just handed to me before. It’s got jewelry, a necklace, a wrap bracelet, and some earing. There are sandals, jeans, and a sweatshirt along with the top. I put the stuff down and hugged Nah tightly.

“Thank you.” I smiled up at him. He rubbed my back.

“Go get dressed; we have to get going soon.” I nodded walking into my bathroom and closing the door behind me as I pulled my shirt off. I finished dressing quickly and fluffed my hair. I haven’t had new clothes since I was young; I twirled around giggling as I finished up making my outfit. I felt so pretty. I walked out of the bathroom, through my room, and down stairs down to the kitchen.

“You ready to go, Amira? Do you have your phone?” I nodded and patted my pocket.

“Where are we going?” I asked excited as Noah picked up his car keys.

“Secrets. Come on, into the car we go.” I walked outside as a little girl in a princess dress ran up the long drive way.

“Jessa!” She yelled running towards her. I watched as she jumped into her arms and they spun around.

“Hi, Sweetie. How are you?” Noah touched my back to move me forward. I don’t like meeting people I don’t know….even if they’re five. Jessa looked over at me and smiled. “Rudy, this is Amira. She’s my little girl. Amira, this is Rudy. She lives down the road.” I gave a tight smile and looked over at Noah.

“Come on, we have to go.” He smiled, knowing exactly what I was feeling.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, okay? We have to get going.” Jessa said putting Rudy down. She smiled at me moving her strawberry blonde hair out of her eyes. She is really adorable.

“Bye, A-mir-a.” She giggled running back to her mother at the end of the drive way. I got into the car and curled up in the back.

“Where are we going?” I asked as they both got in front. Jessa turned to look at me.

“A surprise!” She laughed as I wrinkled my nose at her.

“But I want to know.” I said taking the iPad out of the pocket on the seat as Jess turned around and shook her head. I picked a movie as the two of them started to talk about random things. It took us about 20 minutes before Noah pulled into a parking spot. I looked out the window and gasped at the view. We were at a carnival, a full on full of rides and games, and little kids running around with their parents. The lights from the rides were lighting up the late summer night making the view amazing.

“Have you ever been to a carnival?” I shook my head not wanting to tear my eyes away from the carnival. “Well what are we waiting for?” He smiled as I shot out of the car…

A/N: Sorry it took so long guys. I've been sick and I just couldn't write :( I also have exams coming up, so I'm not sure when the next chapter will be up. I'll try for really soon though <3