Chapter Twelve

I felt the vibrations of Gunner talking. I opened my eyes to look at him. He was starting at me. “What?” I asked yawning looking at the time.

“Are you still cold?” He asks turning the music down, even though it didn’t change anything. I could see his lips in the dim light of the dashboard.

“No, not really. I’m warm now.” I said looking out the windshield to see where we were. I wasn’t sleeping per se, just dozing into La-La Land, La-La-Gunner Land. He sighed in relief and shut the heat off.

“I was roasting alive in here.” He gave me a glance as I watched him in the dark cabin. “What?”

“I like your tattoo.” I lifted my hand from inside the blankets to run my fingers through the opening of his unbuttoned Henley T-shirts. “When did you get it?” His muscles tensed under my fingertips.

“Sometime between my sixteen and eighteen birthday; I don’t really remember.” I saw it at the lake but I never wanted to ask, until now. It felt more intimidate, something that should be talked about alone; even when everyone would see it. “It’s my family crest.  My brother has the same one.” His face lit up a little bit when he talked about him. He really loves him.

“You have a brother?” I asked pushing the blanket away, I wanted it so it was my body on his; it was getting a little hot. I leaned on his arm staring at him.

“Yeah, he’s older. His name is Gage.” He snuck a peek at me.

“Tell me more. I didn’t know you had a brother. I thought it was just Ruby and you.” He shrugged.

“He went off to law school to take over my Dad’s firm. Then two years in, he dropped out and joined the Police Academy. He’s a cop now. He loves it.” I handed him his water bottle as he reached for it.

“What do your parents think about it?” I took a sip of my own.

“They weren’t exactly happy he dropped out of law school, but he’s happy and he’s making money. They’re happy for him.” He looked at me quickly. “My parents don’t care too much about the whole doctors, lawyers, businessmen thing. They just want us to be happy. They were only mad he didn’t figure this out before they paid for the two years.” He smirked.

“Have you thought of colleges yet?” He shook his head.

“I’m clueless.” He sighed pulling me closer to him. The rest of the ride was in silence, of me just watching the lights passing the car. We pulled up to the dark house a little after 9 o’clock. I felt dead on my feet. I didn’t sleep at all the way back, just soaking in everything that has happened today. I rubbed my eyes as Gunner pulled in next to his father’s truck.

I felt the rumble of Gunner’s chest as he said something. I opened my wary eyes to look at him. “Off to bed with you.” He laughed opening the door and pulling me with him. The little burst of adrenaline woke me. We went through the garage to see his mom standing glaring at him with her arms folded.

“Where have you been?” She growled at him as he put the bags down on the floor.

“Out, Ma.” He grunted walking to the fridge to get a drink. She glared at him before turning to me. I looked between the two of them. Gunner’s forehead now sported the wrinkles of frustration.

“Are you okay, Sweetheart?” I looked over to Gunner to see him roll his eyes and grab his bag.

“Cut the shit, you know she’s fine.” He turned to look at me quickly before shaking his head. Mrs. Byrne turned around to shout at him as he went up the stairs. All the fun and happiness that was in the air from only minutes ago, is gone now. She turned to me as I grabbed the bag off the floor and walked up the stairs to my room. I closed the door behind me and sat down on the end of the bed. I got ready for my shower when my laptop lit up on the desk.

I answered the e-mail from Noah when I felt the vibration in the floor from the door to my room opening. I looked over to see Ruby staring at me. We stared at each other silently, neither of us braking eye contact. “You should come play with me.” She finally said as I closed my laptop. I blinked at her as she walked into the room. “Please?” I shook my head.

‘I’m really tired, maybe tomorrow.’ I signed to her. She pouted at me before turning to look at someone down the hall. I watched Mrs. Byrne pick the little girl up, talking to her, give me a smile and then be gone. Something is going on in this house, something between Gunner and his parents. Something I’m not sure if I want to figure out. I got into the shower and washed away all my stress, as well as the fun I had with Gunner.

I came out of the bathroom toweling dry my hair only to nearly jump out of my skin. Gunner smirk from here he was lying on the bed with his arms behind his head. “You scared me!” I grabbed my chest as my heart started racing.

“I’m pretty awesome.” He winked at me sitting up.

“What if I was naked?” I crossed my arms at him. He looked me up and down, eyeing my pajamas.

“I’d get a good show.” He grinned. I gave him a dead look putting my towel into the hamper. He leaned back on the bed.

“Jerk.” I pouted sitting down on the other side the bed. He turned his head to look at me. It was then; I truly saw the anguish in his eyes. “Gunner….” He lifted his hand to play with a strand of wet hair. I took his large hand into mine and held it to my face. It was like his hurt was radiating off of him. He turned his face away from me, hiding like a child. “What happened?” I whispered to him running my fingers over the back of his hand. I watched him clear his head before looking at me again.

“Nothing. I wanted to make sure you were alright before I go out.” I gave him a confused look.

“Where are you going?” I asked running my fingers over his wet hair. He shrugged.

“Out. Maybe to the garage or the diner. I don’t know, just somewhere.” He sat up, causing me to no longer be able to reach.

“Do you have to go? You had a really long day.” He nodded. “Well have fun, I guess. Stay safe.” I grabbed my phone off the side as Gunner got off the bed and walked out. I really couldn’t figure that man out. The events of the day, and not really sleeping the night before, started to weigh on my brain making my eyes heavy. I put my phone down and turned the light off, slipping into the dark, unruly part of my mind I always try to hide from…

I woke in a fright. I sat up in bed holding the blanket to my chest. Reliving the night of my parents deaths is gut wrenching. I wiped the sweat off my forehead with the blanket. I took some calming deep breaths and looked at the clock. It was a little about 8 in the morning. I wiped my eyes and stood up to stretch my aching muscles.

It didn’t seem like anyone else was in the house when I walked down stairs for a cup of water. The lights were off and there was nothing on the table. I pulled out a cup and filled it up with cold water to try to cool down my overheated body. I wanted to go sit by the sliding glass door and have my water, clear my mind, when I suddenly felt extremely sick. I felt the glass slip out of my hand and then everything went black…