Chapter Nineteen

I was staring out the window when Jessa came into the room and sat next to me. I looked over to her, taking my eyes away from the rain pour down the window outside. “What’s got my little girl down?” She asked cocking her head. I just shrugged putting my head on her shoulder. My stomach felt like it had a weight in it. I do not feel good. Not at all.

“Amira.” She signed making me look at her. I looked away at the window and pulled my legs up on the chair and put my head on my knees. I don’t like to admit my weaknesses, they make me feel weaker then I already am.

“I don’t feel good.” She rubbed my back for a while before poking me to look at her.

“I’m going to have lunch with Noah, Baby. Do you want to come or stay here and I’ll bring you something?” She stroked my hair.

“I’ll come with you.” I stretched my legs out.

“Okay, go get ready.”I nodded, getting up walking up towards my room. I pulled on new clothes and my rain boots. I giggled kicking my feet, loving them. I walked downstairs to see Jessa pulling on her raincoat. She handed me mine as Aspen came trotting over to us in his new fancy coat.

“I like these.” I ran into the rain spinning around and jumping up and down. Jessa went running to her car as I took my sweet time, just feeling the rain splash around me. I got into the little car as she turned it on.

“Rain is fun.” I smile at her. “But I miss the sound of it.” She patted my hand and pulled out of the driveway. We made it to Noah’s office in no time and I followed Jessa as she took us to the elevator. We walked to Noah’s office, Jessa waving to the people she knew. Noah’s door was closed so we waited for him to come over.

Penelope brought us both tea and started up a conversation with Jessa. I watched the door and it opened.  Noah smiled at us, waving us in. I took my tea with me as we walked into the office, Aspen coming to sit down next to the window. Jessa gave Noah a kiss, then greeting the man sitting in front of the desk. He smiled at me as I took a sip of my tea looking at the man’s back.

“Amira, you know Mr. Byrne.” I gave him a smile, not understanding anything that was going on. “He’s our lawyer. He was just looking over your adoption papers.” My eyes flickered to the papers on the desk.

“Did something happen?” I asked quietly, not really understanding. He shook his head.

“No, Sweetheart. They went through. You are officially our daughter.” He took me into his arms, ignoring my shocked face. I knew he told me that they were adopting me but it was an idea. I didn’t think it was going to happen. I felt the tears forming in my eyes as I cried. Noah pulled back looking at me. “You can’t get rid of us now.” I turned around and ran into Jessa’s open arms.

“I’m so happy.” I cried, clutching her tightly. They are my parents now. The parents I want. The parents that would do anything for me not do anything to get rid of me. She pulled back and took my face into her hands, wiping my tears away. She looked over my head at Noah before looking back at me.

“We just have a couple of things to work through before we can file it fully.” I turned to look at Noah sitting at his desk.

“Like what?” I asked looking between the three of them. I thought it was official.

“Do you want to change your last name?” I gave him a thoughtful look. “It’s okay if you don’t want to take our name, Amira. Just having you in our lives is enough.” I shook my head.

“I want your last name. You’re my family and I want my family’s name.” He gave me smile but I could see the question in his eyes. “James was my fath-his name. He doesn’t deserve it to live on and I don’t deserve to be branded by it.” I took a deep breath. “You guys are my parents now and that is all I want.” Jessa put her hands on my back. “You’re my Mom and Dad now.” He nodded his face of stone but I could see the emotions in his eyes. Jessa kissed my head.