Chapter Thirteen

I woke to a gentle prodding and warm fingers on my face. I blinked at the haze that moving my overly sore arms groaning. I felt drunk, my mind just coming back from its reset. The agonizing ache in my muscles tells me I’ve just had a seizure, there is nothing like the pain of the aftermath of a strong seizure. I could just make out the blurry shape of a finger in front of my eyes.

I suddenly feel a warm hand in mine, a comfort. I must have groaned. I rubbed at my eyes trying to clear the blurriness to see the people around me. “Amira?” The doctor said checking my eyes as I moved my back to try to ease the pain. “How are you feeling?” I shook my head making him smile.

He looked over as someone was talking to him. My hands were shaking as I reached for the water on the table. My throat is dry and scratchy. Another hand picked it up. I looked up at Gunner as he stared at me, his eyes wide and dark. Scared. He put the cup to my lips for me to drink. I gulped the entire cup down. I instantly regretted it as it hit my queasy stomach.

I felt a hand on my leg making me look back at the doctor. “Do you know what happened, Amira? Do you know where you are?” He asked me as the nurse left the room to get something. I nodded putting my hand to my head, it was throbbing uncontrollably.

“The hospital, I had a seizure again.” I wanted to just close my eyes and sleep the pain away. The doctor reached out and touched my head light where I had my surgery when I was young. I clenched my teeth in pain. He nodded writing something down in my chart. I must have given him the saddest look because his eyes showed pity.

“We’re getting you some pain meds, I know it hurts. You took a tumble, hit your head. There was a lot of broken glass.” I looked down at my bandaged arms. My body was still giving me after shock, random shakes like shivers. “We gave you a stronger anti-seizure drug, as well as a muscle relaxer.” I nodded at him as my stomach started to protest at having the water in it. “All we can do now is keeping you comfortable till you feel better. Rest is your best friend.” I gagged covering my mouth as I felt my stomach rejecting the water.

I was able to grab that little container before I threw up the sickly tasting water. The doctor rubbed my knee reassuringly. “And some anti-nausea meds too.” I nodded weakly curling up on the uncomfortable bed. Gunner took my shaking hand into his and squeezed it tightly. The pressure on the bed was lifted as the doctor got up. He left after saying something to Gunner.

Gunner rested his head on the edge of the bed in front of me. “What happened?” I asked him looking at my bandaged arms. They went from some of my hand, over my wrist, and to my elbow. Gunner stroked the back of my hand with his fingertips.

“I came back from a run to see you on the floor, shaking in a pool of your own blood.” He shook his head closing his eyes. “It was terrifying. I never want to have to go through that again.” He touched my head ever so lightly. I flinched. “They said you hit your head on the table.” He whispered pulling his hand back. I looked over as the nurse came in and put medication into my IV. “Don’t ever put me through that again.” Gunner said as I looked back at him.

I gave him a weak smile, looking for my stuff. Jessa must be worried sick. “Where are your parents?” They didn’t seem like the people to leave an underage child in the hospital when they are staying with them, well if they were really Jessa and Noah’s friends.

“My mom is outside trying to reach your dad; my dad took Ruby out for the day. Keep her away from the house while it gets cleaned, you left a little bit of a mess.” A wave of guilt washed over me.

“I’m sorry.” I grimaced at him making him smile.

“I’m only joking. It wasn’t your fault. I know you didn’t want to bleed all over my floor.” I stuck my tongue out at him as the pain medication started to kick in.