Chapter Twenty

I was sitting at the stool at the breakfast bar watching Jessa cook dinner. Noah was to be home any minute and I was staring at anything other than the stupid book in front of me. She shook her head at me. “Amira you are going to have to read it whether you like it or not.” I pouted at her making her smile.

“It’s a good book, really.” She put some cut up fruit in front of me to chomp on while I waited for dinner. I snuck one under the bar and into Aspen’s waiting mouth. “School starts in a couple weeks and I don’t want you to fall behind.” I ringed my hand in my lap.

“I’m scared, Mom.” She turned to look at me, her eyes full of emotions.

“Why, Baby?” She asked putting the bowl in her hands down. I shrugged.

“I’m not good at school. I can’t listen to someone talk and write it down, and do it. It’s just too hard. I like learning but I can’t do it like normal people. I’m broken.” She came over and took my face into her hands.

“You are not broken.” She kissed my head. “We are going to solve this, Amira. We are not letting you fail.” I put my head on her chest as Aspen licked my fingers. The door must have opened because Jessa let go of me and turned around. Noah put a bag down and kissed Jessa. He came over to get a welcome home kiss but I wrapped my arms around his neck in a tight hug. I felt him laugh and spin me around. He lifted me up onto the counter making me smile.

“How is my little girl?” I gave him a look making him smile. I did look like a 7 year old sometimes. “I got you something.” I looked at him with wide eyes. He pulled out a long box making me look up at him. Jessa was watching with a smile. He gave it to me and urged me to open it. When I did, I felt my eyes start to water. It was a beautiful heart shaped locket with a flower on it with a small diamond in the middle of it. Noah opened it slowly. Inside the silver locket was a picture of the three of us on one side and engraved in the silver ‘The perfect family, love Mom and Dad’ on it. I ran my fingers over the words. Noah closed it showing me the back, my new name engraved in it, Amira Bennett. I looked up at him, his eyes watching me.

“Do you like it?” He asked, not sure of my reaction. I nodded, picking it up, jumped off the counter, and turned around. He put it on my neck and latched it. I put my hand on it before turning around. I wrapped my arms around him and squeezed as tight as I could.

“Thank you.” He kissed my head as Jessa pulled me into her arms.

“You are the perfect daughter, and you can never be broken.” She kissed my cheek. “Help me finish cooking.” Noah went and took his bag upstairs as we finished. We were setting the table when he came down again and hugged Jessa.

“How did the doctor’s go?” He asked me. I shrugged.

“They want to run tests on my brain.” I looked over to Jessa as Aspen walked over to me.  Noah stole a piece of food from the plate. I giggled as Jessa smacked him. The doorbell must have rang because Noah left the room to go answer it. I looked up as Ruby came running in. She ran over and hugged my legs.

“Hi, A-Mir-a.” She signed to me pulling back. I smiled at her and patted her head. “We got you flowers.” I smiled at her as her parents came in after her. They both gave me a hug giving me the flowers.

“Congratulations, Sweetie.” She smiled at me, putting her hand on my face. I looked behind her as Gunner walked in behind his parents. He gave me a smile, giving me the wrapped gift.

“This is from all of us.” I looked at his parents who nodded. I looked to Jessa and Noah who gave me a nod of encouragement. I opened the wrapping paper slowly and opened the box. I ran my fingers over the leather. I picked the book up gently and inspected it. There was only one thing on the cover of the book, the three letters ATB, my new initials. Inside of the book was the perfect sketch book that was interchangeable. I clutched it to my chest and looked up at the three of them.