Chapter Seven

I was taken out of my drawing when Penelope put down a steaming cup of tea next me. I smiled at her and picked up the cute little cat cup. I went back to the drawing grabbing my blender and continuing. I felt a hand on my shoulder making me look up. “You want to go out for lunch?” I nod at him putting the book down on the table. “Wow, you drew this?” He asks picking up the book.

I nodded at him taking the last sip of my cold tea. “Do you have a book?” I shook my head.  He closed the book and looked me in the eye. “I’m going to get you one. You have a real talent.” I took the book back and held it to my chest.

“Can’t I have this one?” I asked rubbing my fingers down the soft leather giving him a puppy dog look. He smiled at me helping me off the chair.

“If you want it, you can have it.” I beamed at him as we walked out the door. “What would you like?” I shrugged at him. “What do you like?” He asked as we waited for the elevator. I shrugged again making him give me a look. “Well I know a good place to get sushi, you’ll love it.” The elevator came up and people walked out looking at Noah and me. I put my head down and walked in to the corner and leaned into wall.

“I’ve never had sushi before.” I said watching the numbers drop. I look over to Noah to see him watching me. I smiled at him as we walked out into the lobby. Everyone was running around and moving quickly. I starred at it all in horror as I realized we were going to have to go through it all. I gripped Noah’s hand tightly in mine, not wanting to lose him. He gave me a reassuring squeeze.

He pulled us out of the building into the not as busy street. “Where is it?” I asked as we walked down the street. Even in this far northern state, it’s hot. I could feel the sweat on the back of my neck. Noah tugged me left and into a building. I looked around the dark area at all the people in the restaurant.

“This is one of my favorite places around. You sit at a table and you pull the sushi you want off the conveyor belt that is on the end of the table.” I looked at the hundreds of places of sushi that was going by the tables. I looked back over as Noah talked to the host and walked us to a table. I was grateful that she didn’t sit us at the bar or I’d get a crick in my neck. I have to look people in the eye so I can see what they’re saying.

I sat down looking at the bunches of rice going past me. Noah took one off and put the top in the corner. I looked at him as he put it in front of me. “Try it! It’s just crab and rice. I promise.” I picked it up and tried to take a bite of it. “No, Sweetie.” He laughed. “Like this.” He plopped it into his mouth and chewed.

I copied him putting it into my mouth and chewed slowly.  He waited for my reaction. I swallowed and took a sip of my water. “I like it.” I smiled at him. He gave me a beaming smile pulling more sushi off the belt for me to try. It went like that for most of our lunch. He make me try almost everything and laughed at my facial expressions when I didn’t like it. I liked most of them, I’m not picky, but some made my stomach churn unhappily.

I ended on my last piece, one of my new favorites, and put my hand on my stomach in almost pain. I ate so much. “Come on, let’s get back.” Noah laughed at me putting his card away. We got back and Noah showed me around the entire place. It was crazy nice. I got a new outfit to wear, a cute little blue dress, and new shoes. They just handed it to me and left. We were on our way home with some Italian food when Noah’s phone rang.

“Hey, Baby.” He smiled. Jessa must be on the other end. “We got sushi and I got her some food from our favorite place.” He looked at me as I watched him. “She’s good. She says hi.” I turned away giving him his privacy. I watched the road and the surroundings. It was late, Noah stayed later to finish some work done. He was working on getting some things done for a fashion show in New York City.

 We passed the Byrne’s house and Gunner was outside in the light. He was working on an old car when he felt my eyes. He looked over at me and we just stared at each other. I felt tingles in my chest as I stared, but the connection was broken when Noah pulled into the drive way and into the garage. I looked at Noah as he hung up the phone. “How about ice cream and a movie? We can go into the movie room downstairs.” I nodded getting out of the car and going into the house.

I picked out the movie while Noah got our ice cream ready in the kitchen. The movie room is amazing, just like the rest of the house. It has surround sound- not that it matters to me- probably the most comfortable couches in front of the screen, and another row of chairs in the back. I just loved to curl up in the corner of the couch with a pillow and a warm blanket. Noah came down with the ice cream with a stone expression on his face.

“What’s wrong?” I asked apprehensive. He sat down next to me and handed me to cold bowl.

“I have some bad news.” My stomach dropped making the bowl feel like it weighed 30 pounds in my hands. I stared at him wordlessly. “I have to flight out to New York. Something went wrong and they need me there by tomorrow morning.” I started to panic. I don’t want to be in this big house all alone. My heavy stomach expanded and retracted as I fought to keep calm. Don’t leave me my mind screamed, but my mouth was glued shut.

“I know, Amira. I’m so sorry. I have to leave tonight and Jessa, she can’t be back till Monday.” My chest was starting to hurt with my erratic breathing. Noah put his hand on my shoulder. “It’s going to be okay, Amira. You’re going to stay with the Byrnes for the weekend then first thing Monday morning Jessa is going to pick you up. Then we’re going to all go out to make up for it.

“I promise it’s going to be fine. You can come to New York with me with you want, or I can drop you off in Portland if this is too much for you.” Noah said trailing off. That would be going far out of their way. I shook my head, my body calming down with the reassurance of company.

“No, I can go to their house.” I whispered, or at least I think I did. He nodded stroking my hair.

“I’m sorry, I know I said we were going to have fun together, but this just came up. They need me there in the morning. I’ll be back soon, I promise.” I nodded leaning into a hug, a form of comfort I didn’t know I needed. He wrapped me in his embrace. I pulled back and looked at my melting ice cream in distaste. I didn’t want it now. He put a hand on my arm making me look at him.

“Do you want help packing?” I shook my head giving him the bowl. I went upstairs into my room and sat down on the bed. I’m used to being put into a house where I barely know the people around me, but I don’t know why I feel the way I do. It’s not even like they’re sending me away, Jessa will pick me up in only two days. I pulled out the new duffel bag we bought out from my closet and put random clothes in to it. I had enough for at least four days, my new laptop, the iPad, my new sketch book, and my favorite pillow.

I got into the shower quickly and pulled on some new clothes. I didn’t even want to leave. I’m growing attached to the house, I love it. I didn’t want to leave. I pulled the handle of my bag and rolled it into the hall. “I got it.” Noah said picking it up. He had his bag on his back. “You ready?” I nodded running my fingers down the railing. I walked all the way to the car before Noah turned me to look at him.

“I got you this a little while after you came to us.” He handed me the medical necklace. It was a heart with little engravings on the front. I clutched it in my hand. “Incase anything happens, it has all your information, my cell, Jessa’s cell, and the house number. I just need to know that if anything was to happen to you, you’d be okay.” I held the necklace close in my hand. I nodded as he gently took the chain and put it to my chest and clipped it together.

“I don’t want you to ever be alone again.” I felt the tears welling up in my eyes as I stared at him. My heart swelled at the idea that this man- a stone cold, giant- cared for me. No one has truly cared for me in a very long time. I put my hand on the necklace and nodded. Everything was going to be okay. I know it will be. I can do this.

“Come on, we have to get you settled before I have to leave for my flight.” He sighed putting me into the car and walking around. He didn’t like this as much as I did. I didn’t want to be away from my little family. Not anymore.