Chapter Fourteen

I woke up again, my mind clearer then it was before. I rubbed my eyes and stretched my achy muscles. I felt terrible. Despite the pain medication, my arms are burning, my head is aching. I sat up in bed and looked out the dark window. I looked to the door, my throat burns. I want water, my stomach isn’t queasy anymore.

 Noah was in the hallway, his bag on his shoulder, talking to the doctor. Gunner was sprawled out on the chair in the corner, his legs up on another.  Noah shook the doctor’s hand and walked towards the room. “Hey, Beautiful. How you feeling?” He asked putting his stuff down and taking me into his arms as I hugged him. I laid my head on his shoulder not wanting to let go.

After so long alone in my own head, I needed the human content. I never wanted to be that alone again. I couldn’t be. It would be like losing my family all over again. I can’t go through that again. “I missed you.” I sighed pulling back. He looked me over quickly, sadness seeping into his eyes. He moved my hair ever so lightly, to show the bandage on my forehead.

“I know; I’m sorry. How are you feeling?” He sat on the bed taking my hands in his.

“A little bit better. I want to go home. I don’t want to be here anymore.” I ran a hand through my hair, unhappy. I want my own bed. My own bed, I think I’ve ever been able to say that before. I just want out of here. “Please.” He pulled back and looked at me, pulling his eyes away from my arms.

“They want to keep you over night, make sure you don’t have another seizure.” I shook my head.

“Please, I want to go home.” I whimper. I caught movement in the corner of my eyes. Gunner woke up with the sound of us talking. Noah turned to look at Gunner, his face drops.  He glared at Gunner.  He turned back to me.

“What is he doing here?” He grunted. I looked between the two of them, not really knowing what to do.

“I wanted to make sure everything was okay.” He yawned blinking, trying to clear his eyes of the left over sleepiness.

“Well it’s time to go.” Noah said harshly. I pulled back from Noah staring at him.

“Why are you being so mean to him?” I am gobsmacked. I’ve never seen him like this, and I never really wanted to see this again.

“Don’t worry about it, Tinks.” Gunner sat up picking up his jacket off the chair.

“Where are you going?” I asked as he walked over to the bed.

“I’ll see you soon.” He kissed my cheek and just left. I stared at the empty doorway then looked back at Noah. He shrugged, pleased that Gunner left. I sighed.

“What was that?” I asked him crossing my arms.

“You shouldn’t be spending time with him. He’s no good for you.” Noah pulled his bag closer, picking it up and putting it onto the bed. “I brought you presents.” He opened the bag and pulled out a plastic one. “I got it when I was waiting for my car to come here.” I opened the bag and pulled out the new gaming system and some games. I hugged it to my chest.

“I’ve never had one before.” I looked back to him. “Thank you." I ran my fingers over the box.

"Well, open it. I'm going to talk to the doctor and see if I can break you out of here tonight." I smiled at Noah making him smile back. “Now there’s my favorite smile.” I looked at my shattered phone sitting on the table by where Gunner was sitting. I got up, putting my fancy new DS on the bed, and clutched it in my hand. I turned it over, smiling at the number scribbled on the back in sharpie.

I sat back down on the bed and opened the box. I started to set it up when Noah sat back down on the bed. I looked up at him. “He said I could spring you, but we have to go see him at his office as soon as we can.” I nod franticly.