Chapter One

PART OF THE EDITING.

The Getaway- Chapter One•

"Mom," I said trying to breathe, "I'm fine." I added finally pushing her away. I brushed myself off and took a step backwards.

She tilted her head to the side while a tear trickled down her face. "I've just, I missed you so much." She said embracing me in another one of her bear hugs. The one's where I could only get one breath in, before I felt like fainting. Squeezing my eyes shut, and patting her on the back, I sighed as she tightened her arms around me. This is about the fifth time in two minutes already.

I pulled away and searched her eyes, "Can we please go home?" I asked, raising my eyebrow. She slumped her shoulders, and looked me up and down again, taking a small step back. Smiling, she shook her head and motioned me to the car with her hands.

Once I got in and situated myself comfortably in my seat, I noticed my phone on the dash board and leaned forward to grab it. It felt nice to be in the place I recognized as home, but I wasn't ready for the questions that were going to be thrown at me. My mom got in on the drivers side and sighed. I know I had been slightly moody since I got back, but it's just that I've been overwhelmed with all of this. I was just going to forget everything that had happened the past few months and start fresh.

At least, I think I can.

I was more anxious to see Justin, my boyfriend of two years. I was planning on surprising him so I was hoping my mom hadn't contacted him. It felt like a stab to my chest every time I thought about him. I missed his smile, laugh, his hugs, and his unbelievable way to make me smile no matter what.

My mom smiled at me and put her hand on my knee, "I know you're worried about me throwing questions at you, it's okay. We can just forget it for now while you get situated." She said patting my knee and turned her attention back on the road.

"Hey mom?" I asked looking in her direction, fumbling with my fingers.

"Yeah?" She questioned, her gaze going to me for a second before going back to the road.

"Can you drop me off at Justins?" I asked biting my bottom lip. I know I just got back and that she would say no, but you can only hope. She tensed up and I saw worry in her eyes as she looked at me.

"Selena," she sighed, "Do you really think that's the best of ideas right now?" She didn't look at me as she spoke. She looked distant and worried, like something was going on.

"Well, I mean, yeah..kinda." I tried not to sound curious about the way her attitude quickly changed. "Why? Is there something going on I should know about?" I asked nervously. Fearing the answer that was going to come out.

"Uhm.." She pursed her lips and glanced at me for a second. "No, I'll drop you off."

I smiled, but was still curious. Was there something going on, that I didn't know about? What if there was, and what would I do if it was bad? So many questions were swarming in my head as I walked up the sidewalk to his house. I didn't even know if something was wrong. I wasn't oblivious to her change in attitude, but it may just be because she hasn't seen me in a while, and wants me home.

I sighed nervously, shaking all curiosity off as I knocked on the door.

"He-" Pattie stopped mid sentence, her eyes widening, eyeing me up and down. "Oh gosh, what? How?" She asked, glancing behind her, then at me. Stepping outside, she closed the door behind her.

"Uh, yeah, long story. But do you mind if I go in and see Justin?" I asked, looking behind her.

She didn't answer. Instead, she looked down and shook her head, embracing me in a hug. It didn't feel like a welcome back, I've missed you hug. But more like an..I'm sorry hug..?

I didn't question it, or hesitate to hug her back. But suspicion was rising, and I quickly backed away and looked at her distant eyes.

"Is he not home or something?" I asked, trying to remain calm. "Because if not, I can always come back later."

Before she could answer, a voice sounded through the other side of the door. Not just any voice, his voice. The voice I've been craving, missing, wanting for a long time. I smiled and walked passed Pattie, who tried to stop me from going in.

When I opened the door, it smelt like some sort of pasta and I closed my eyes, remembering that it almost always smelt like this when I was over. Convenience, I guess.

"Who was at the door, I heard knocking?" Justin's voice rang down the hallway. Just then, my heart stopped and I felt everything come rushing back. His to die for Brown eyes stared at me, and I felt the heat rush to my cheeks. Looking down, I fumbled with my fingers.

Before I could say anything, another voice sounded through the hallway. A female voice. "Justin, baby, who's there?" I looked up and saw a girl wrap her arms around his neck and lean her head on his shoulder.

Just then, Pattie walked in, wide eyed as I opened my mouth, then closed it. Not having a clue in the world what to say.

Justin stared, horrified, scared, and confused. He took a step forward, reaching for my hand. "Selena.."

"Don't." I shook my head, fighting the tears I refused to spill in front of him. The man I used to love and trust my life with. "Just, don't,"

I said before taking one last look at his pleading eyes, and walking out the door.