Webster Diner

Chapter 21: The Webster Diner

I ran into the diner with a huge smile on my face.

My mom had been here!

She was the owner of this! (In a way she was the owner…well, at one point in time.)

"Watch out!" Someone yelled. I turned to see a girl on roller-skates heading straight for me with two glasses of what looked to be water. Before she could hit me, I tried moving out of the way but she ended up turning the same way and we slammed right into each other.

"Damn it." she said as she got off of me.

"I'm sorry." I said getting up. She was wiping her shirt.

"Crap! Now my shirt is all wet!" I looked down at mine and it was wet too.

"Same here." I said. She rolled her eyes and grabbed the cups off the floor. Right then, Chase walked in.

"Hey Chase!" The girl said with a huge smile.

"Hi Karena." He said real quick, then looked at me and smiled.

Karena cleared her throat," Tybalt wanted me to tell you that if you came in today, he had to go somewhere and would be back either tomorrow or next week."

"What?" Chase exclaimed, wide-eyed as he looked at Karena.

"Yeah."

"Why didn't anyone call me?" Chase asked.

"We didn't have your phone number."

"Well then, who's cooking?" Chase asked Karena.

"Bethany."

"Bethany! Last time she cooked...Man, I better go help." Chase said as he went over to a segment of counter and flipped it up. Before he walked into a door behind the counter, he turned and looked at me, "Clary, make yourself at home. Order something. It's on the house." With that he walked into the back.

"So you're Clary?" Karena asked while narrowing her eyes at me and her tone sounded like she was angry.

Was she angry at me?

Why? I just meet her!

"In the flesh." I said looking at the hands I had put in the air, then dropping them to my side.

"Hmm," was all she said as she walked away. I stood there, not knowing what to do. Then a woman stood in front of me.

"Georgie!" I said, a little surprised.

"Hello Clary." She smiled.

"What are you doing here?"

"Do you want to have lunch with me?" She asked.

"Sure." I said as we walked over to a table in the corner of the diner. We sat down and she smiled.

"So you're probably wondering what I'm doing here," She didn't wait for me to respond. "I was 20 when I had my first child and then they just came one after the other. After my 4th child, I started to notice the hospital money wasn't enough. My husband was making okay money with his job, but 4 children want and need a lot. So your mom offered me to be the manger here while she's in the hospital. And all I have to do is come in here when she wasn't in and check on the place."

"C-cool."

"Clary you do understand that when you turn 18, no matter who owns this place right now, it will be yours."

"Do you know who owns it?" I asked. She looked at me with concern.

"Your mom never told us who would get it. I don't think it's me. I would have been notified. I have my suspicions, but I'm not going to go digging. I don't care as long as I have my job."

"Why do these businesses want to buy my mom's diner?" Georgie looked down at the table.

"What do y'all want?" I looked up and saw Karena.

"Karena I've talked to you about being rude. Now come on and say it right."

"Hiii, I'm Karena, your waitress for the day. Is there anything I can get you today?" Karena said in a lazy, unhappy way.

"That was not the right way and you know it." Georgie said sternly.

"Whatever."

"Karena..." Georgie gave her a death stare.

"Sorry."

"I want a coke." I interrupted.

"Water." Georgie said. Karena nodded and walked away. "I'm sorry about her...she is a little mad and upset."

"Why?" Georgie looked at me.

"Why are we all? Your mom helped a lot of people. Everyone that works here was someone she helped in one way or another-"

"Here you go." Karena put down the drinks in front of us."

"Now what do y'all want?" She asked.

"Karena, be nicer, please!" Georgie said.

"Fine! Are you two ready to order?" Karena said with a fake smile.

"I would like the green burger and sweet potato fries, please." Georgie said.

"And you?" Karena said looking at me.

"I-I don't know?" I said.

"I give you, like, 5 minutes and you still haven't found something you want? Man, it's everything she's always cooked; you're her damn daughter you should know what you want!" I was as confused as to why she was blowing up on me, but the things she said was making me mad.

"I'm sorry that she ran out on me when I was 2 to come here and help you. Excuse me if Idon't give a damn about her and her business!"

Wham.Karena had slapped me.

"KARENA! I think it's wise that you take the rest of the day off." Chase said from behind the counter.

"But you have nobody else to help out but Tybalt, Megan and me."

"We will do." He said with a stern look. Karena dropped her notepad that was in her hand and stormed out of the diner.

"Sorry about that." Chase said walking over to us with a tray of food. "I heard you were here, here is your usual garden burger and for you Clary, I made the famous Clary burger."

"Clary burger?"

"Yeah and there is a Chase, Tybalt, Karena, and Alexi burger." Georgie said. I smiled.

"Thank you." I said as Chase put the plate on the table. Then my phone went off. I picked it up.

"Hello."

"Clary!" It was, of course Owen, but he sounded upset.

"Yes, where are you?" He asked.

"I am at the diner...why?"

"You-You need to get to the hospital."

"What? Why?"

"Clary, just...just get to the hospital." Silence filled the other line; I held the phone out in front of me and saw Owen had hung up on me.

"Damn!" I said.

"What is it?" Chase asked. I looked at Georgie who was looking at her phone too. Tears were coming down her face.

Right then I knew what had happened.

Right then I bolted up and ran out of the diner...

Kyeire: GASP! …Okay. People, really! What's there NOT to review about? There's Karena, the diner, The Clary burger….the Owen call! Come on! REVIEW!