Friends?

Chapter 18

I was out of breath from my speech. When I realized he was gone, I sighed.

Good the butthole is gone.

I then felt hands on my shoulder, I knew it was Owen. That made me smile. Maybe I would not be alone all night. I turned and face him. He had a grim look on his face.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Ummm, it's just that...your mom owns Webster Diner...right?" He asked.

"I don't know. It's the first time I heard of it, why?"

"N-nothing." He looked down at the floor.

"Owen, what's wrong?" I asked again.

"Did you live/grow up in Memphis?" He asked me, still not looking at me.

"Yes, but you already knew that...Owen, what's wrong?" I asked yet another time.

"Did you live with someone named Josh?" I stepped back, looking at him wide-eye. I had never told him about Josh. "You're best friends with a girl named Sarah Paling." I took another step back, I also never mentioned her. I was about to panic. He knew things about me that I had not told him.

"O-Owen?" I said, in a voice that shook.

"I wished it wasn't you..." Was all he said. I glared at him with a questioning look.

"What in the world do you mean?" I was getting mad that he wouldn't look at me.

"I-I...I need to go." He turned around and walked away.

I stood there stunned.

What?

When it hit me that he actually walked out of the room, I ran after him while yelling his name in the halls.

I ran outside and caught him as he was about to get in a cab.

"OWEN!" He turned and looked at me.

"Clary, I don't think it's a good idea for us to be friends."

"What? Why?" I said. He looked at me.

"I…Do you know anything about me?"

"Yes, I know many things about you-"

"What do I do for a living?" He asked.

"You work for a company, and you're currently training a rich kid," Omigosh, what if that kid is Willow's brother? I feel bad for Owen if he is.

"What do I train him to do?" Owen asked. I had no idea about that.

"I-I don't know."

"ARE YOU GETTING IN OR NOT?" The cab driver yelled at Owen.

Owen looked at me and then at the cab. He actually looked like he was debating on whether to get in or not.

"Whatever!" I spat out angrily. "The first person I start to trust here decides to leave me...and here I thought I ran away from the things like that." I said. I turned around to walk away, but felt a hand grab my elbow. I glanced over my shoulder and saw Owen. He had closed the cab door and started to pull me over to a bench.

I did not argue due to the fact that I wanted to know what was going on with him and why he was acting so standoffish. We sat down, and at first we were quiet but then he turned and looked at me.

"I teach rich people a sharp business method." He went silent, just looking at me.

"What do you mean?"