The Peak Of Sadness

Chapter 22: The Peak Of Sadness

I ran so fast out of the diner, my mind was focused on what was going on.

Why did I need to be at the hospital?

Was my mom okay?

I ignored cars honking at me as I ran into the middle of oncoming traffic. I couldn't let my legs stop until I reached the hospital. I knew it was a long run, but taking a taxi would put me through too much traffic and I had no time to spare.

"CLARY!" I glanced over my shoulder for a second and saw Chase running after me, Georgie jogging behind him. I kept putting one foot in front of the other, not wanting to stop.

Then I felt an arm grab my arm, "Clary, slow down before you get yourself killed." I looked up and saw Chase.

"Let go of me." He looked down at me and frowned.

"Clary, let's get a taxi." He said.

"No, it will take too long."

"The hospital is 10 blocks from here. Running will take just as long, anyways, you're not that fast."

"Come on, Clary let's just take a taxi." Georgie said as she caught up with us. I had a feeling she knew what was going on, she knew what was wrong with my mom.

"Just tell me," I mumbled.

"Tell you what?" Chase said.

"Georgie, is s-s-she dead?" I asked looking at the ground, but slowly lifting my head to face her. She had a blank expression on her face. I knew it was true. Tears filled my eyes. I turned to run but then realized Chase still was holding my arm. His expression was full of sadness, yet he held it together.

"Chase, let me go, now." His hand slowly lost its grip of my arm and I took off, oblivious to him yelling my name.

In 15 minutes, I was in the front of the hospital. My breath was abnormal and my heart was going 90 to nothing. But that didn't stop me from running through the hospital. I turned the corner of the hall where my mom's room was and immediately bumped into Owen.

"Whoa, slow down there." Owen said grabbing my shoulders.

"W-what's wrong? Is-is she okay?" I said franticly.

"Clary, calm down." He said, gripping my shoulders a little harder.

"Please take your hands off me." I said. His hands dropped. "Is she okay?" I said in a flat, yet stern tone of voice.

"Ms. Webster?" I looked behind Owen and saw Doctor Hallow.

"Yes?" I said, looking at her.

"I am sorry to say this, but your mom...was...was killed."

"Killed?" I half yelled.

"Yes, someone pulled her plug." I studied the doctor, hoping she was lying. When her eyes filled with tears, I knew she wasn't lying.

"Killed...NOOOO!" I screamed with tears coming down my face. "NOOO!" I went to run, but Owen grabbed my waist. I collapsed to my knees.

"NOOO, nooo, no." I was at my wits end. This was it, she was gone.

She was killed.

Who?

Who would have done that?

Why?

Why did they kill her?

"How about you and I go get some air?" Owen whispered in my ear.

"Go to hell." I said, getting up and out of his grip. He looked at me, stunned.

"C-Clary?" He said.

"I met you, what 2 days ago? In that time I learned you work for the people that want my diner and they told you to get me to sign no matter what...So was this it? You kill my mom and then what?...You killed her! I know you did!"

"Clary I didn't." He said in a low voice.

"Why are you here? Hmm? Did you just drop by and decide to visit? You killed her!"

"Clary calm down, you're causing a scene."

"Oh, right. Let me guess. You don't want a scene! No, because then people might put two and two together! You bastard! You killed her!" I went up to him and started punching repeatedly at his chest. He didn't stop me, no one did. I finally stopped and broke down in tears. This was it...

She gone and I was left alone.

No dad.

No mom.

No...No Josh.

That made me cry even more, I ran away without a word. He must hate me, he must really hate me!

"Clary, are you okay?" This was a male's voice but not Owen's. "Clary." I turned and saw Chase.

"I'm fine, just fine." I said as I got up and walked away. I thought no one had followed me, but as I sat down on a bench a couple halls away, I saw someone in the corner of my eyes sit down next to me.

It was Georgie.

"Do you have any place to go?" She asked, looking at me. I shook my head.

"No, my dad's house is in Memphis, but I can't go back there for a while."

"I might have 5 children and only 4 rooms, but my couch is comfy. So how about you go get your things and I'll take you to my house. We'll get you washed up and you can meet my family."

"Georgie I can't, it would be intruding."

"No, I am serious; you're coming home with me."

"Don't you need to ask your husband first?"

"He knows, I texted him earlier. Come on." She got up and put her hand in front of me. I took it and got up. We walked down the hall, and as we turned the corner I saw Chase and Owen talking.

"I will catch up with you in the room." She looked at me then at them, and nodded.

I listened in, "Are you playing her?" Chase asked.

"Are you?" Owen mocked.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Chase asked.

"You own the diner now, but what happens when she turns 18?"

"What's the point of this?"

"You're playing her, being all nice, and then when she turns 18 you'll pull the rug from under her. I bet you have a plan, you and your ways. I'm sure somehow you'll get her to sign it back over to you."

"It's not true; as long as I work in the diner I'm happy. Mrs. Webster was like a mother to me. And you're one to talk, you are so playing her."

"I am not, I care about Clary…"

"That makes two of us." Chase mumbled.

I walked away.

With only one name stuck in my head.

Josh...

Character pictures are on my profile, but one mistake, I named a character picture on my profile Dean, when the name of the picture was supposed to be Chase...When I can I will fix it!

Please Review!

I am so happy to have an editor, Kyeire, and I would like to take this chance and say I am so thankful for Kyeire's help! I am so in debt! Kyeire is the one lately that has been posting and helping and Kyeire makes it possible for y'all to read this with less errors and faster updates. If it was up to me...Y'all would be reading a story full of errors and it would be only posted every 2 weeks, due to me being lazy and computer problems. So thank you Kyeire! You rock!

PLEASE REVIEW!

Kyeire: Thanks RRD, you give me something worthwhile to do, and a very good read. Haha! I get to read before all of you! Nah-nah! Lol.

And to echo her, REVIEW! Or you won't like me! I know cyber-karate!