Week Three: Performance

"You both have came a long way." The choreographer says at the end of our final day. "I'm impressed Cassandra. You actually pulled this off." He smiles at me and the last thing I want to do is be friends. I nod and do nothing more. We leave the studio and head to supper.

"Hey!" Winter smiles walking over to us.

"What's up?" Lane asks her.

"Nothing much supper." Simon laughs. We eat our food and talk about anything really. When we finish up Winter and I walk back to our dorm.

"Something was up."

"This week was just really hard."

"What do you mean?" I tell her about our choreographer, how he singled me out and was angry at me for most the week. He pushed me and pushed me until I almost broke. She listens quietly. When I finish she nods her head.

"Last year I had him too. Not for hip hop but for Jazz. He kind of wrecked me. He threw me into a funk. He would tell me that I needed to lose weight so Simon could pick me up easier. It was bad. I almost died from starvation which was why I was scared that you were missing lunch because that's how it started for me."

"I just stayed to practice our number."

"I figured when I saw how much you were eating at supper." Winter smiles sadly at me.

"Yea I kind of over killed supper."

"No it's a good thing. Your a lot stronger than I am."

"But he also wasn't telling me to lose weight." I remind her. She nods her head. Winter goes to bed after our talk. I practice our dance one more time before tomorrow. Shelli walks in as I'm doing it and then I retreat to my room and finish in there.

~

I wake up early Saturday morning and head to the makeup they do my makeup more natural as the choreographer said. I find myself being dressed in ripped jeans, a pink top and purple pink leather jacket. It didn't scream hip hop but whatever. They straighten my hair and make me look pretty good. I slip on some shoes before heading to the stage area.

I sit in my chair and listen as they read off the order of last weeks ranking. I notice Lane sitting down a little ways. I find him staring at me and I stare back. He winks at me and I stick out my tongue. It's all childish but he knows how to get on my nerves. I watch as the first couple of numbers go on stage. We go back stage after the third number to get ready.

I listen to my music and Lane listens to his. I try to get into the zone for this performance. We have two numbers until it's our turn and I see our choreographer.

"Just so you know I'll be watching." He tells us.

"What?"

"Don't mess up." He says while looking at me and he walks away smiling. I feel my anger. I was finally in the zone and he had to come ruin it. I try to calm myself down but I don't really know how. Just seeing him makes me so mad.

"Ignore him."

"It's kind of hard when he singles me out."

"Cassie we will do fine."

"You maybe." I sigh.