Week Two: Performance

As the performance day came I was feeling jitters but not as much as Lane. Back stage he was pacing. He had his head phones on and his eyes were closed. I knew he was trying to get in the zone like I did last week. That's one thing we have in common. I watch number after number as people do amazing. I knew there was a reason only thirty people got in every year what I didn't realize was how competitive everything was. It's only week two and I've already blown up once.

Right before we go on Lane takes a sip of his water. We walk out on the stage the bed already there and I get into position. I know Lane starting by himself is part of the reason he is so nervous. If I'm being honest he's not that bad at contemporary. I actually thought he would be worse than he is but of course that's not possible.

We do our number hitting everything we were missing in rehearsals. The song flies by and before I know it we are running off the stage.

"You know your not actually that bad." I tell him. He smirks at me his jitters finally gone.

"Thanks." We watch the other dances and wait very impatiently. When the scores pop up I search for our names.

A huge smile overtakes my face as I see we placed fifth

A huge smile overtakes my face as I see we placed fifth. Top five. Lane looks just as excited as I am. As much as everyone doesn't want to admit it we all care what they say. What rank we get. I also don't believe that Shelli will be very impressed when she sees that Tiffany and Walter beat her out for first.

Winter and Simon walk over to us. "Fifth place. That's a large jump from eleventh." Simon whistles.

"Right." I smile at him overjoyed. It might not be first place but it also means that we aren't here for no reason and that we can dance no matter what others think. I can see a couple dancers are upset with how they placed, but that's apart of the camp. I'm just hoping that we improve over the summer.

"Well that's two weeks already gone." Lane says. It hits me that I haven't spoken to my mom in over two weeks. A wave of sickness overtakes me. I feel the nots in my stomach start to from as there is a heaviness on my heart. I go back to my room and reach for the phone. I press one and I hear the familiar beeping of my mother number in my ear. Even hearing that settles the storm my stomach has become. It rings and rings and that makes me worried. Why isn't she answering?

"Hello?" Just hearing her voice makes a sob raise in my throat.

"Mom." I try to get out and it comes out scratchy.

"Oh baby! How are you?" I feel tears gather in my eyes just thinking about how much I actually miss her. I got so caught up in drama and dance that I forgot all about my mom. She is my world and I know she probably missed me way more than I missed her.