twenty-nine

-Athena-

After trying to get a response out of Liam, Harry rose to his feet, his chest heaving as he glared at Jade. "You f***ing bitch!" He snapped, both of his arms igniting in flames. "What have you done to Liam?!"

"You act like he was that important." Jade replied curtly, crossing her arms.

"He is my fiancé!" Harry yelled, before throwing a round of fire towards her, dad lunging towards Josie and pulling her out of the way.

The look on Harry's face when Liam didn't respond almost brought me to tears. His green eyes were full of tears, his lips trembling as he cradled his fiancé close to him, begging him to wake up and to come back. I knew the feeling. I knew what it felt like knowing you might've lost the love of your life. The pain is absolutely unbearable and no one should have to go through it.

I looked at lifeless Liam's face, a tear streaming down my cheek. Liam was one of my best friends. Seeing him in this state, made my heart ache. I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath, before opening my eyes to find the scenery had changed, the sky around me different shades white and blue.

"Now is the time, Athena." The mysterious female voice said, as I watched her approach me. "You can save him."

"But he's dead? You can't fix dead." I argued back, standing to my feet and staring at the figure. "It's not physically possible to bring someone back to life. Especially if their spine was damaged."

"This is true: you can't fix the dead. But I will make an exception for Liam, seeing as though he is needed with you and your friends. Once you save him, your healing will disappear and no longer be of use to you."

"But you told me I needed it to heal people injured by Team Z." I stated, looking at her with much confusion. "Why give me a power I can only use a few times?"

"This power is not for you. You had once explained that this ability felt like it had belonged to someone else, and that is true." She explained. "This was only temporary."

"If it doesn't belong to me, then who does it-" I began, before the realization hit me. I rested my hand on my stomach, my eyes never leaving the mysterious figure's. My baby was the healer this entire time. "Wait- how is my baby a healer if I have adamantium claws and Louis has strength?"

"Simple: I have given it as a gift. I was informed to grace the baby with it. If you decide in the future to have more children, they won't be as lucky."

"Well, that's not really fair." I mumbled.

"In our previous conversation, I said you've been rude and hateful for most your life. You met your husband and you turned your whole life around after realizing you were under compulsion. Now, you are fighting to stay alive and saving others in the process, just like that little girl, Andi." The voice told me. "Because of this, you are a hero. This is why the baby has been giving blessed with healing."

I never once decided to label myself a hero, because I never felt like one. And due to past circumstances, that was true: I wasn't a hero. A hero is a person who is admired, or idolized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities. Did I deserve such a title?

Louis does.

"I must leave now, Athena, and we may not meet again. Because of this, I ask you to stay safe and take care."

I opened my eyes, the sound of heavy fighting in the background bringing me back to reality. The sky around me was a dark, specks of red visible. I looked down at Liam, the mysterious voice telling me to bring Liam back.