seventeen

-Louis-

It was a totally different atmosphere when Athena and I arrived home. She hadn't said a word since watching the news. She wouldn't look at me, or the others, and it scared me.

Once we were in the apartment and I had locked the door up, I turned and saw that she wasn't beside me anymore. I kicked my shoes off and walked into the bedroom, only to find Teddy laying in the bed, curled up in a ball. I sighed, walking over to him and petting his little head. "Where's Athena, buddy?" I asked him, as if he could respond. He lifted his head up and stretched, before rubbing his head against my hand. "You're no help." I told him, before standing up from the bed and walking into the living room.

I looked out towards the balcony that's connected to our apartment, finding Athena sitting close to the railing, her legs dangling off the ledge. Her hair was covering her face, as her index finger and thumb were twisting her ring slowly.

I walked out and stood beside her, her head turning to look up at me slowly. She had tears in her eyes, which made my heart hurt, since Athena rarely cries. "Talk to me." I said quietly, sitting down and wrapping my arm around her waist. She buried her head into my chest and took a ragged breath.

"I'm sorry," She murmured. "This is all my fault."

"No." I replied, shaking my head, trying to pull her closer to my body to keep both of us warm. "None of this is your-"

"Team Z doesn't want you dead, Louis!" She yelled, pushing herself away from me, looking at me directly. "They want me! Not you!"

"They want us all, Athena! They all of us dead!"

"Did those assholes tell you to turn yourself in?! Did they tell you that the fate of the world rested in your hands?! No!" She snapped, standing up from her spot on the balcony and walking inside. I groaned loudly, before standing up and following her into the apartment, closing the balcony door behind me. She was laying on the couch, her eyes directed towards the wall. I knelt down in front of her, seeing tears in her eyes once more. "I've f***ed up in my life so much. Karma is catching up to me."

"You know none of it was-"

"It was still my hands that killed all those people, Louis! Niall may have controlled my entire being and made me do all of those things, but it was my hands that had the blood of so many people on them," She sobbed, hiding her face from me. I sat on the floor in front of her, running my fingers through her slowly, before she glanced at me and wiped tears from her eyes. "How were you able to fall in love with me after everything I did? I'm a terrible-"

"Athena Taylor," I irrupted, pushing the hair from her face so I could see her face clearly. "You are not a terrible person. You never were, nor will you ever be one. I fell in love with you because you are beautiful, confident, sexy, intelligent, and my best friend. I know it didn't seem like it at the time, but I looked past everything that happened and all I saw was you. I've only ever saw the real you," I said to her, combing my fingers through her hair. "Hell, every time I look at you I fall in love all over again."

She gave me a small smile, her eyes back to their normal color. I grabbed her left hand and kissed her ring, before kissing her forehead, my lips lingering for a while. "How are you always this cheesy?" She chuckled. I pulled away from her, helping her off the couch and wrapping my arms around her waist, holding her as close as possible to me. She pressed her palms against my chest and leaned her forehead against mine.

"I've told you this countless times and I meant every word. No one is going to lay a finger on you. I would rather die-"

"Please, don't say that."

"-than have someone hurt you. I know you are strong and independent woman, but as your husband, I have to put your wellbeing and needs before my own. And if this war is to kill me, then let it happen. I love you more than anyone on this earth." She moved her hands to the back of my neck and played with the tufts of my hair. I don't know how long we stood there, but the silence was comfortable, and I didn't mind it.

We eventually laid on the couch together, her back to my chest and my arms around her firmly, a blanket covering us. Though it wasn't nearly as comfortable as our bed, I really just wanted to hold her and make sure she was okay.

She was stressed by this entire war and I really didn't expect her to feel any different. One can only take so much before they just break down and that time came.

As soon as she had fallen asleep, I pulled her closer to me, the warmth from her body making everything seem cozy and comfortable. I kissed her cheek and rested my cheek against her neck.

All I really wanted was to keep her safe and if that means keeping her away from the fighting and war, then that's what has to happen.

/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\

-The Next Day-

"Alright, we're landing in Los Angeles in about five minutes. The governor knows of our arrival and advises us help with the citizens who are injured first," Liam said, leaning against the wall of the plane and starring at us all. I glanced over at Kristine and Natalie, then to Harry and Josie. They were all in their designated attire and were talking about plans, whereas Athena was standing and gazing out the window of the private aircraft.

"You okay, baby?" I asked quietly, standing beside her. She shrugged, her eyes fixated on the clouds outside. "What's on your mind?"

She was quiet for a moment, before sucking in a breath and releasing it slowly. "I've seen a lot of things in my life, but I don't know if I'm ready to face all these injured people. What if they realize who I am and they refuse to let me help them? What if I can't help them?"

I grabbed her hand and pulled her close to me, my arms wrapping around her body and my forehead pressed against hers. "It'll be okay, lovely, I promise." I whispered to her, my hands rubbing up and down her back. "You'll do what you can, that's all you really can do at the moment."

She hummed in response, as I pressed my lips to her forehead and let them linger there. She was always paranoid recently, and I wasn't used to this side of Athena. But she was stressed, and I can live with it.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Liam's voice echoes throughout the plane. "We are landing now. Stay safe, help the citizens, and stay strong."

"I can do this," Athena chanted to herself, before she sat down beside Josie and buckled her seat belt. I followed behind her, buckling myself in and sliding my mask onto my face, awakening Thunder and putting Louis to sleep.

____________________________

So yeah, hi. I love you.

Thoughts on the chapter?

Send in songs for the Thunder playlist. :)

School is almost out for me, so more updates will happen. So, be prepared. I have the child's names planned out and only my cousin, LeighAnn knows the name and gender.

DO GO READ HER BOOK, 'Busted'. It's a Lilo fanfic! LeighannFrankart

Love you all, good night.