Confidence // Calum

A/N - I'm running out of ideas for Keep Close but there will be a part 4, I just need a break from it!!xxx

Calum's heart thudded in his chest, adrenaline pumping through his veins. He was exhausted but excited to finally meet his baby girl.

"That's it babe." He said, his hand pressed tight to yours, leaning over the edge of the bath tub, as you gave your final push.

"She's here!" The midwife announced, pulling the tiny human up to your chest. "2:45am."

"Oh my god, Calum! Our baby girl." You burst into tears, cradling her close to your bare chest. "Why isn't she crying?"

"Just give her a minute, rub her back for me." You firmly rubbed her back, hopefully encouraging her to cry. "Come on..."

Calum swore his heart had stopped. He wasn't worried; he knew she'd be okay. She was the most beautiful baby he had laid his eyes on - he couldn't wait to hold her in his arms.

"There we go!" The midwife cheered, as the tiny baby girl gave a shrill cry. She had a good set of lungs, just like her father.

"She's so tiny." Calum murmured, tears spilling from his eyes. He admired the way you already knew how to hold her, how she was cradled gently against your bare chest, your touch soft on her back.

Throughout your entire pregnancy he had been so nervous about being a Dad, but actually seeing his baby girl, he had a new streak of confidence. All he knew was that he had to protect and love her for the rest of her life.

"She has hair like you Cal." You added as he chuckled and reached down, stroking the wet, nearly black hair on her head.

"She's beautiful." He grinned, his heart pounding with pride, shaking his head in disbelief that she was yours and his.

The midwife wrapped a pink towel around her, also placing a white/pink stripes beanie on her head.

"Does Dad want to hold her whilst we get you all sorted Y/N?" The midwife asked, you nodding and Calum's eyes filling with more tears. "Here you go."

Nothing could've prepared him for this moment. It felt so right; she fit perfectly into his arms.

"Oh, hi beautiful girl. I love you so much." He couldn't stop the tears streaming down his face as he cradled his tiny daughter. She felt safe in his warm, protective arms.

He brought her closer to his face, pressing gentle kisses all over her face. She had already nearly fallen asleep again, Calum's heartbeat and soothing touch helping her sleep.

"It's been a busy day for you, huh?" Calum chuckled, stroking her cheek as her eyes fluttered. Small cries escaped her lips, still uncertain of the new world she had just been born into.

"Shhh, it's alright baby girl. Daddy's got you, don't worry about a thing." He whispered softly, the first conversation just between them, no-one else hearing it. He'd always remember this moment forever.

He hummed to her softly, rocking her gently. This moment was perfect. He felt so content and right - everything felt so right. He never knew if he wanted children when he was younger, but thinking about it now, that was crazy. Nothing felt better than holding his and yours creation, made from pure love.

"You look perfect with her." You said quietly, voice hoarse. Your voice snapped Calum out of his quiet moment with her, him chuckling and handing her back to you.

"We did good babe. We did really good."