Chapter 34

Family Remains

It had been probably an hour or two of sitting there watching the house when a scream echoed in the distance. Leaving Millie and the sleeping children in the car, Sam, Dean and I ran toward the house.

Dean knocked on the door. It opened, revealing Ted--the uncle that was helping them move.

"We heard screams. What's going on?" Dean asked as we rushed inside.

Brian--the new owner of the house--walked toward us. "You three. Did you touch my daughter?"

"What? No." Dean said.

"Who are you guys?" Brian asked.

"Relax, please." Sam tried to reason. "You have a ghost."

"A ghost." Kate--the teenage daughter--pulled away from her mothers arms. "I told you."

"It's the girl." Danny spoke up. The boy was no older than ten or eleven.

"Both of you, relax. What are you guys playing at?" Brian asked us.

"Your family is in danger. You need to get out of the house now." Dean told him.

"We're just trying to help. You should really listen to us." I added.

Then all of the lights went out, leaving us in darkness.

"Nobody move." Dean demanded.

The sound of a dog whining filled the air.

"Buster!" Danny yelled out.

Ted and Brian ran for the front door, yelling for their pet.

We followed around the side of the house where a trail of blood led to the moving truck with the words 'Too Late' written in blood.

"Buster!" Danny called out as he leaned over the railing of the porch.

"Go back inside. Go!" Brian yelled.

His wife--Susan--ushered their two kids back into the house.

"We are not the bad guys, but you're in danger." Dean insisted.

"First things first, you gotta get your family out of here." Sam added.

____

"Head to the motel I was talking about. You'll be safe there." Dean said, lifting Evie into his arms.

"What are you two gonna do?" Brian asked.

"Here's the keys. Just head back to the motel and stay put." I handed Millie the keys to the car.

"Oh no." Dean said as we neared the Impala that now had all four tires slashed. "Oh, come on!"

Sam went to check the trunk.

"We leave the car alone for ten minutes and the ghost attacks." I said, shaking my head.

"Dude, the guns are gone. So's the..." Sam moved away from the trunk. "Basically everything is gone."

"Trucks no good. Both tires slashed." Brian stated, moving back to us.

"What kind of ghost messes with a man's wheels?!" Dean yelled, glaring at the house as he set Evie on her feet next to him.

"What's going on?" Kate asked. Then she screaming, pointing to the field across from us. "She's there! She's there!"

I turned to look but there was nothing but overgrown shrubs and trees.

"She was right there in the woods." Kate said.

"What's a ghost doing outside?" Dean asked as he shone the beam of his flashlight into the woods.