Chapter 25

Wishful Thinking

 Walking into the Chinese restaurant where Sam had been earlier, we head straight for the fountain in the center of the large room. The little blond boy who was being chased earlier was heading for the door.

"Think it works?" Dean asked.

"You got a better explanation for the teddy back there?" Sam asked.

"Why don't you consult the lore?" Millie suggested with a shrug.

"I'm not sure there is lore on depressed teddy bears." Sam replied.

"There's one way to find out." Dean reached into his pocket and pulled out a coin.

"What are you gonna wish for?" Sam asked.

"Shh." Dean said, tossing the coin into the water. "You're not supposed to tell."

"He's not wrong. It ruins the wish." I added. 

Evie yawned, reaching up for Dean to lift her into his arms. 

The door opened. "Somebody order a foot long Italian with jalapeno?" A man asked, sandwich in hand. 

"That'd be me." Dean said.

____

We sat in the restaurant across from a very touchy couple as Dean ate his sandwich. Evie was sleeping with her head on Sam's arm as she sat between him and Millie. 

"I think it works, dude." Dean said. "I was pretty specific."

"Only you would wish for a sandwich when you find out there's a real deal wishing well." I stated as I bounced Wyatt on my knee. 

"The teddy bear, the sandwich...." Sam trailed off.

"Hmm." Dean reached into his coat, holding up the newspaper article about the lottery win. "I'm guessing this."

"I'm guessing that." Sam nodded to the couple across from us. 

A guy with glasses and not dressed the best sat across from a gorgeous dark haired girl in a black dress. They were very touchy and she was clearly head over heels in love with him though he seemed more hesitant to the PDA.

"Oh, that definitely goes on the list." Dean agreed. 

"So is there a different magic wishing well that you wished for Saige in or something?" Millie asked Dean.

He glared at her. "What are we supposed to do? Stop people's wishes from coming true? Sounds like kind of a douchey thing to do."

"Yeah, maybe." Sam nodded. "But, come on, man, when has something like this ever come without a price tag? And usually a deadly one."

"I don't know." Dean shrugged, taking another bite of his sandwich. "This is a damn good sandwich."

"Until it kills you." I muttered.

"You say that about everything I eat, wished for or not." Dean quipped.

"Excuse me for wanting you to live past the age of 29."

"Twenty-nine-year-olds don't have heart attacks."

"They do when they eat like you."

"Guys." Sam said. "Let's have our daily old married couple bickering moment later, shall we?"

"Alright, fine, we'll put a hold on the wishing until we figure out what's what." Dean told him.

"Ladies, gentlemen, I'm sorry." The manager walked up to us. "We don't allow people to eat outside food here." He adjusted his bowtie.