Chapter 49

On The Head Of The Pin

"It feels a little bit...invasive." I told Sorceress.

"Well, do you want to find him or not?" She replied.

"Good point." I sighed, sitting down and shutting my eyes. I focus, breathing deeply. Flashes of a warehouse, of Alastair chained up, of Dean's hand, of torture all flood my mind as if I were in Dean's body. 

I flinch a little, the images jarring. The act itself of invading his mind jarring. 

My eyes shot open. "I found him." I pant.

Sorceress smiled. "Lovely."

____

"Anna was wrong, you know." Sorceress told me as she sat in the passenger seat of the Impala.

I pressed my foot on the accelerator, the needle on the speedometer jumping up to eighty. "About what?"

"About our story." Sorceress said.

"I was going to ask, you said I'd remember every life I lived but I don't remember the hundreds--" I began.

"We haven't lived hundreds." Sorceress said. "We've lived three including this one."

"Oh." I mumbled.

"Yes. The one when we were one and an angel. We fell for a human man who had so much good inside of him until it was twisted and manipulated into something it wasn't. We abandoned everything we knew for him." Sorceress said. "Then...they hurt him, broke him, chained him to a mark and made him a demon forever."

"That's horrible." I said, feeling my chest go hollow.

"Yes. Our second life was not too long after being murdered by Uriel and Anna--"

"Wait, what?" I asked.

"That deep rooted hatred you have isn't as unprovoked as you think." Sorceress told me. "Anyway, in our second life, Cain...he was immortal at this point but there was a man who was just like him in many ways. Turns out, a part of Cain's soul was tethered to this new man. It was a way for us to stay together when he was locked away. Now here we are."

"Here we are? Where is here? What is this life?" I asked.

"From the beginning of time, we were told that we would play a large part in the apocalypse. I never believed it. I never thought I'd fall from heaven. I never thought--"

"Wait...Dean's not...he's not Cain." I said. 

"Sam and Dean's destiny resembles Cain and Abels in many ways. But that's not it. There's something different about Dean...there's something there I can't figure out." Sorceress explained.

"So a part of him is...Cain? Or tethered to him?" I asked. "We really love him, don't we?" I questioned, referring to Dean.

"I don't think I've ever encountered a love as strong as the one between us." Sorceress told me. "It's just...just like when Cain and I first fell in love. Such devotion. Such tragedy. Beautiful. So wonderfully sinful."

"Okay, let's stop the porno before it gets out of hand." I said.  

"I'm not sure how but Dean is connected to us somehow." Sorceress said. "Connected to Cain, the apocalypse, the mark, all of it."

"I don't know what to do with all of this." I whispered. 

"The first seal was his doing." Sorceress told me. "Dean broke it when he began torturing people in hell. He's the righteous man who started it all."

"What?" I asked.

"You should know." Sorceress sighed. 

_____

"Cass, I will kill you." I said, walking into the warehouse. "Where is he?"

"Saige, I do wish it hadn't come to this." Castiel told me.

"Then let me stop this before it gets out of control." I said.

A pained scream echoed through the building from behind a door across the room.

"No." I whispered. "Cass, how could you let this happen?"

"I am so sorry." Castiel told me. 

"We've been friends for a long, long time. A lot longer than I remembered at first, but I will not hesitate to clip your wings." I told him. "Let me in there. You know this is wrong. It's...It's not God. It can't be."

"But..." Cass began.

"Cass, it's okay. You're not horrible for realizing that something about this isn't right. Just let me kill that stupid demon and get Dean out of there." I pleaded.

For a moment, Castiel was quiet. "I trust you."

"Thank you." I pushed open the door only to find Alastair pinning a bloody, bruised and almost unconscious Dean to the wall.

Castiel shot forward, plunging Ruby's knife into Alastair's chest. Dean fell to the floor, gasping for air.

Alastair stumbled back. "Oh, almost. Looks like God is on my side today."

Castiel held his hand out, spinning it and making the blade stuck in the demon's chest to rotate. Alastair pulled the knife out.

I dropped to my knees beside Dean. "Hey, hey, stay with me." I used the long sleeve of my shirt to gently wipe some blood from under his eyes though it didn't do much good.

His one eye was swollen shut, the other blinking closed as he lost consciousness. Blood and bruises covered his face.

I looked over just in time to see Alastair shoving Castiel back into a support beam of the building, stabbing a nail through the angel's back as he did so. 

"Cockroaches, you celestials. I really wish I knew how to kill you." Alastair said. "But all I can do is send you back to heaven."

I stood, moving toward the bleeding angel and demon.

Pulling the pure black knife from my belt, I stabbed Alastair in the lower back. Not a hit to kill. "I am going to tear you to pieces." I hissed. 

Suddenly, Alastair was thrown against the wall.

I turned to see Sam.

"Stupid pet tricks." Alastair hissed.