Chapter 12

Metamorphosis

"So fire, huh?" Dean asked from across the table, blow torch in hand. 

"The only way I found to kill these bastards, deep fry them." Travis answered. 

"Well, that's gonna be horrible." Dean remarked as he tinkered away at what was going to be a homemade flamethrower. "That what you did to Jack's dad?"

"Uh-huh." 

The door creaked open and Sam walked in. "Not wasting any time, are you?"

"None to waste." Travis told him. 

"I'm kinda hungry. We should go get lunch." I said as Evie grabbed onto my leg and pulled herself up to stand. 

"The guy hulks out, we won't be finding bodies, just remains." Travis continued. 

"Give me ten, we'll go get a pizza or something." Dean nudged my leg.

"Eh, pizza doesn't sound too good." I lifted Evie into my arms.

"Well, what if he doesn't hulk out?" Sam asked, sitting down.

"What do you want then?" Dean glanced up at me.

"Burger?" I suggested.

"I could go for a burger." Dean shrugged. 

"I did a little homework. I've been checking out the lore on Rougarous." Sam continued.

"Not the lore." Millie said playfully.

"Yes, your one true enemy, the lore." Sam replied in an equally joking tone.

"Why don't you two go get it on somewhere else. We don't need to see this." Dean said. 

"What, is my 30 years of experience not good enough for you?" Travis asked.  

"What? No." Sam scoffed. "No, I-I just wanted to be prepared. I mean, not that you didn't--"

"Sam loves research." Dean filled in.

"His one true love is lore." Millie added.

 "Right. He does. He keeps it under his mattress right next to his K-Y. It's a sickeness. It is." Dean continued.

"Hey, you think we could swing by the grocery store and pick up some cookie dough?" I asked.

"Sure." Dean shrugged.

"Look, everything you said checked out, of course." Sam said. "But, um, I found a couple of interesting stories about people who have the Rougarou gene or whatever. See, they start to turn, but they never take the final step." 

"Really?" Dean asked.

"I think I read that somewhere too once." I added.

"See, if they never eat human flesh, they don't fully transform." Sam continued.

"So, what, go vegan, stay human?" Dean asked.

"Basically. Or, in this case, eat a lot of raw meat, just not--"

"Long pig." Dean quickly filled in.

I smiled a little. "That's what I'm getting you for Christmas. A word of the day calendar because this seems fun for you." 

"Right." Sam nodded.

"Good on you for the due diligence, Sam." Travis said. He stood, moving to the counter to pour another cup of coffee. "But those are fairy tales. The fact is, every Rougarou I ever saw or heard of...took that bite."

"Okay, well, that doesn't mean that Jack will." Sam stood. 

"So what do we do? Sit and hope and wait for a body count?"