Chapter 20

It's The Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchester

"Now, how many razor blades did they find?" Sam asked as we stood in the kitchen with the wife of the victim.

"Two on the floor, one in his stomach and one was stuck in his throat. He swallowed four of them. How is that even possible?" Mrs. Wallace looked over at the sound of Dean digging around. "The candy was never in the oven." 

He stood, shutting the door. "We just have to be thorough, Mrs. Wallace." 

"Did the police find any razors in the rest of the candy?" I asked.

"No, I mean, I don't know. I don't think so." Mrs. Wallace shook her head. Dean opened the fridge. "I just...I can't believe it. You hear urban legends about this stuff, but it actually happens?"

"More than you might imagine." Sam sighed. 

Dean stood up from kneeling by the fridge, holding up a hex bag. 

Damn it.

"Mrs. Wallace, did Luke have any enemies?" Sam asked once noticing. 

"Enemies?" She repeated.

"Anyone who might've held a grudge against him?"

"What do you mean?"

"Coworkers, neighbors...maybe a woman." Sam said.

"Are you suggesting an affair?" Mrs. Wallace asked. 

"Is it possible?"

"No!" She exclaimed. "No. Luke would nev--"

"I'm very sorry. We just have to consider all the possibilities." 

"If someone wanted to kill my husband, don't you think they'd find a better way than a razor in a piece of candy he might eat?" 

___

"No, I'm just saying it'd be adorable." Dean argued. He held Evie out toward me. "Look at that face. How can you say no to that?"

"I'm not saying no to her. I'm saying no to you." I corrected. 

"A little Trick or Treating never hurt anybody, you boring woman." Dean said.

"You're only interested because you'll get free candy out of it."

"No, we will get free candy." Dean gestured to Evie as we walked toward the motel door. "Won't we, kid?"

"Yep." Evie giggled.

"Come on, Saige, it'll be fun. You get to dress her up." Dean sang.

"I dress her everyday." I sang back. 

"But you can dress her up like a--like a-a-a pumpkin. You were a pumpkin when you were little."

"How the hell do you know that?" I asked. "The only reason I know is from pictures."

"I just do." Dean replied. "Come on, she'd be a cute little pumpkin, huh?"

"Halloween is tomorrow, there's--" I pushed open the door to find Sam and Millie doing research at the coffee table.

"Don't you dare say there's no time." Dean told me. 

"Next thing I know you'll both be dressed up as pumpkins." I muttered as he dropped the keys on the table and reached into his pocket for another piece of candy.

"Sure. If I dressed up, I'd be a cowboy." Dean told me.

"Why do you have this planned out?" I asked, turning to face him. "How long have you been planning this?"