Chapter 33

Family Remains

I straddled Dean's lap, head resting on his shoulder as he held a flashlight while reading the newspaper. We ended up in this position because it's freaking freezing cold at the moment seeing as it's January. The Impala was parked in the middle of the woods at the moment. 

Sam slept, leaning against the door, in the backseat with Evie and Wyatt.

"Why don't you get some sleep?" I suggested, rubbing Dean's chest.

"I'm fine." Dean insisted.

"Well, since we're not sleeping, we'll talk. Your birthday is in a week and a half." I stated. "What do you want?"

"A lap dance. Now go to sleep." Dean rubbed my back.

"You're ridiculous." I mumbled. 

"What are you doing?" Sam groaned as he woke up.

"What's it look like I'm doing?" Dena replied.

"Like you're looking for a job." 

"Yahtzee." 

"We just finished a job, like, two hours ago." 

"Adrenaline's still pumping, I guess." 

"Then be normal and go have sex with Saige and then go to bed." Sam rolled his eyes. 

"Shh." I hit Sam's arm. "There are children present."

"They're asleep."

"So what do you guys think? Cedar Rapids, Tulsa, or Chi-Town?" Dean asked.

"Tulsa. We'll go to a rodeo or something. Watch some hot cowboys." I hummed. "Yeah."

"I am all for working. I really am but you got us chasing cases nonstop for like a month now." Sam stated.

"A month and a half." I filled in.

"We need sleep." Sam continued.

"Ahh, we can sleep when we're dead." Dean stated.

"You're exhausted, Dean." I placed a kiss to his neck.

"I'm good."

"No, you're not. You're running on fumes, and you can't run forever." Sam stated. 

"What am I running from?" Dean asked.

"From what you told us." Sam stated.

"Well, Si already knew so..." Dean said as if it made Sam's statement any less true.

"Or are we pretending that never happened?" Sam asked. 

"Stratton, Nebraska. Farm town." Dean began. "Man gets hacked to death in a locked room inside a locked house. No signs of forced entry."

"Sounds like a ghost." Sam admitted.

"Yes, it does." Dean agreed as Wyatt stirred and began to whine. I moved off of Dean's lap and leaned over the seat to lift him into my arms. 

Sam groaned, leaning against the door. 

I reached into the bag in the floorboard and pulled out a bottle. At three months old, Wyatt was still waking up every so often. I rested my head against Dean's shoulder.

____

Down a long dirt driveway in the middle of a large field sat a farmhouse. It was a nice looking house surrounded by a lot of land though only two acres of it were for sale along with the house. 

Evie practically jumped out of the car. Before she could run off too far ahead of us, Dean caught her by the strap of her overalls she wore. He tossed her into the air, making her laugh uncontrollably before he caught her.