Chapter 26

Wishful Thinking

Dean was sleeping with Evie tucked into his side, but clearly not peacefully. It worried me. He hardly got a good night's rest ever anymore. "He's lying about remember hell." I stated.

"I know." Sam said.

"I wish I could fix it." 

"Me too." Sam sighed. "Dean, wake up!"

Dean shot up, jostling Evie awake as well. "What? I'm up. What?"

"You sleep well?" Sam asked, though we both knew the real answer to that was no.

Dean reached for the bottle of whiskey kept by the bed. "Tanned, rested, and ready."

"Mm-hm. Sure." I muttered. 

"Dean, come on, man. You think we can't see it?" Sam asked. 

"See what?" Dean asked, looking over his shoulder at us. 

"The nightmares, the drinking. We're with you 24/7. I know something's going on." 

"Sam, please."

"The angel wasn't lying, was he?" I asked, though I knew the answer.

"She's right. Uriel wasn't lying, you were." Sam added as Dean stood and walked toward us where we sat at the table. "You remember hell, don't you?"

"What do you want from me, huh? What?" Dean looked between us, sitting at the foot of the bed.

"The truth, Dean. I mean, I'm your brother. I just wish you'd talk to me." Sam pleaded.

"Careful what you wish for." Dean said with a half-hearted smile.

"Cute."

"Very." I added. 

"Come on, can we stow the couples therapy? We're on a job." Dean grabbed a newspaper.

"We're always on a job, Dean. We're always hunting something." I stated. 

"Si, I wanna work. What do you got?"

"And I want to help you, which proves to be harder work than hunting monsters." 

"Si." He warned. "Come on, tell me what you got."

I sighed.

"Please?" Dean prompted.

"There's the bear, the lottery, the creepy kid watching people shower. Sam and I figure they must've wished sometime in the last two weeks." I answered. 

"But who wished first? And how are we supposed to know who else wished for what and when?" Sam added. 

"In other words, we still have nothing." 

"Well, it helps when they announce it in the paper." Dean said.

"Yes, Dean, that would be helpful." I stated. "Let me know when they--"

"They announced it in the paper." Dean was standing behind me now, dropping the newspaper down onto the table before me. He placed his hands on the table, leaning over me as he pointed to the engagement of Wesley and Hope. The odd couple from the Chinese place. "Goes back a month."

"Wesley Mondale and Ms. Hope Lynn Casey have announced their surprise engagement.'" Sam read.

"Ah, true love." Dean remarked sarcastically.

"Best lead we got." Sam shrugged. 

____

"Wes, you didn't tell me you called the florists for the wedding." Hope said after she led us into the living room where Wes sat in a recliner.