40.

Abigail looked up at the guy, who she could only assume was some sort of leader, chief, president Giant. His bare chest was decorated in black paint, and his long pure white hair and beard were braided to perfect regality. He wore a crown made of antlers and his piercing blue eyes studied her to the point that she no longer felt comfortable, if she ever had in the beginning.

His deep growls left his chest, and each word leaving him sounded gruff and mean. Abigail didn't know too much about the people she wished to join but she knew anger and this guy... He was big mad.

"I was training." Chief Apatite huffed and looked over the people before him as he situated himself on his throne. He sucked on his teeth as he looked Abigail over. "She's not the one from my dreams."

Rowan and Pine looked at one another for half a heartbeat before returning their eyes to the Chief. Pine cleared his throat. "I am sorry?" He raised his eyebrows in question.

Chief Apatite shook his head and locked eyes with his brother. "Azzalea, mate to River?" He asked.

Howlite dipped his head. "She lost quite a bit of blood but I expect her to recover quickly."

"And our newest addition?"

"A female," Howlite flashed his stunning white teeth to his brother, "Pebble. A healthy bouncing halfling female. Azzalea insisted the child take her milk the moment her eyes opened but we do have a wet nurse standing by and willing to help her if she requests."

Chief Apatite shook his head. "She will never request it. Humans and their pride... Have the nurse offer often but monitor Azzalea's mood. She may take it wrongly."

"She may take a visit from you more kindly." Howlite shrugged. "She asks of you the moment she had her head cleared from worry about daughter Pebble."

"She did?" Chief Apatite cleared his throat the moment the words left him. His voice had come from his chest higher pitch than intended. Why? He had no idea.

Howlite nodded. "Now I bring you Pine, Rowan, and Cypress. Son of Baobab from the Hollow Stone Tribe."

"Baobab from the Hollow Stone Tribe." The chief muttered and ran his hand down his thick braid. "The name sounds familiar."

Pine glanced at Rowan as he took in a sharp breath. His shoulder continued to roll of its own accord, not going unnoticed by Chief Apatite.

Before the Chief could question him, Howlite held his hand up. "Brother," he took a step forward, "He suffers from a curse or blessing, which it is he does not know but I am sure his affliction is not catching. It does not affect his day-to-day. In fact, he is so much like one of us, he and Pine have successfully mated a human." Howlite shrugged. "He also," he looked at Rowan, "has studied briefly as a healer. He has a talent and quick brain, which I'd like to explore with more when accepted into the tribe."

Chief Apatite held his massive hands up. "You speak as though this has already been decided. The name Baobab, where do I know it?"

Howlite looked over to Stone, the first Giant the newcomers had met. The massive male looked even bigger in his forest fur. He nodded for him to speak.

"Chief Apatite," Stone's voice boomed around them, "Baobab has not visited us in many many seasons. He is of the Hollow Stone Tribe and is a known debtor. He owes boars and furs." Stone swallowed and looked over the newcomers. "Where is Baobab?"