39.

Early update! ~Autumn

Abigail sat on a stump with her legs out in front, crossed at her ankles. She kept her posture straight and her eyes down. There were way too many people staring at her right now and the last thing she needed was to somehow upset someone, even if it was by blinking the wrong way.

Rowan had carried her through the forest quickly and worry had exhausted her brain. Azzalea, her only friend in the world, had gone into labor and birthed a baby girl. She only knew this because she had peeked at the baby for half a minute before being ushered out of the damp cave and back outside into Rowan's arms. She had spoken to Azzalea in English, the only language she ever learned, and her friend didn't respond back.

The forest was insanely quiet and it made her uneasy. She held herself tightly against her stomach as if to keep her baby safe and kept her eyes closed until Rowan had made a noise deep inside himself.

That's when Pine popped through the trees.

Now they sat in a clearing and were the objects of everyone's attention. The Giants, male and female, came close and stared at them all as if they all had three heads and seven arms. Abigail kept her arms over her stomach but she could feel the heat coming from the fire in the middle of her little group.

Pine had handed Creek over to some old guy and joined them in the circle taking one of her hands and enclosing it in his own. Abigail felt his small squeezes of reassurance and a grunt came from above her. He wanted her to look at him. Pine wanted to connect their eyes and speak to her in one of the few ways they knew how.

Abigail shook her head.

Another grunt, more persistent.

She shook her head once more.

A grunt came from the other side of her, from Rowan. He must've caught concern from Pine.

Abigail closed her eyes as Pine ran his rough finger under her chin and pulled her face up to look at his. He spoke something low and swiped his thumb over her lips. A tear slipped from her closed eye and she felt Pine catch it. "I'm scared." She whispered.

"Little Flower," Pine swallowed hard, "would you please look at me?"

Abigail listened to his thrown-together growling. She opened her eyes and looked up into his strong face and set eyes. "Is Azzalea ok?"

Pine thought of her words, hearing the name he recognized and another human word. "Ok." He nodded and hoped he wasn't lying. The female had needed healing and rest, a lot of rest.

"What if something like that happens to me?" She sniffed and wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. She took a shaky breath knowing Pine had no idea what she was saying but his eyes had softened with every word that left her.

"I will always take care of you." Pine nodded and leaned down planting a firm kiss on her lips. "Rowan will always take care of you."

Abigail felt Rowan's hand on her back. She looked around as Pine released her face. "Is this where you're from?" She looked over the houses built like huts, Giant men and women moved around with purpose. It was hard not to notice the beauty the tall woman had as they gracefully went about their business. She looked down as one passed by, breasts nearly exposed as the lady looked them over with a sense of distaste.

Pine made a face and huffed. "I spoke to Briar when I handed him Creek. He said Azzalea was warming up. The Chief will be out soon to speak with us or we will go to him, I'm not sure which." He spoke in hopes of distracting Abigail. He had no idea how humans lived in their world but he could sense his mate's discomfort as she looked over the females of the new Tribe.