27.

"Will this day never end?"

Pine looked down at his mud-covered fur and winced as his foot slipped once again. His knee had been injured in his recent tumble but at least he had managed to catch a deer. "Father will like the jerky." He said to himself in fake reassurance. There would be no jerky made. The pitiful deer would probably not even be enough to feed them through the night. He had already chosen to not eat this night and probably the next day.

Baobab had returned home not a day and a half ago complaining about the lack of food in the cooling cavern underground.

Pine had been tempted to remind him that Rowan and Cypress eat twice as much as he does because they were still growing. He had no help and was exhausted. The only peace he found was when Cypress decided he was gonna go play with his imaginary friend, speaking some made-up language, or when he was finally able to close his eyes at night.

Tossing the gutted deer over his shoulder, Pine half dreaded returning home. Baobab wasn't one to help hunt but he sure didn't mind to eat, bark orders, and remind him that he was their father and the one in charge, whether he was present or not.

Another wave of hesitance washed over Pine as their tiny cave came into view. It worked for the most part but it seemed to be growing smaller with each passing day. The cooling cavern wasn't that cool, their water source was super close to the humans which was a problem in itself, and Pine just wished for a little more room to stand. He dreaded having to hunch throughout the first half of their home. He was determined three days ago to bring it up to his father. Pine had the desire to move and leave out to be on his own. Baobab wasn't going to be pleased.

Rowan was unable to hunt when his noises and jerky movements were at their worst and sometimes... Sometimes his fit would last for days.

Cypress was still young and though Pine had been young when he had been tasked to care for himself and then for Rowan, Cypress seemed to have this carefree attitude about him. The young child giant would rather starve than spend less time frolicking in the woods, lost in his head. Cypress didn't even have one scar. His perfect skin made Baobab proud.

Unknown to Cypress, Baobab had told Pine about how he hoped Cypress would turn out to be just as handsome as he, but with fewer marks brought on by life. He had wanted to take Cypress to the tribe as a young stud. He would make for the perfect breeding male. Fathers would line up their unmated daughters and have them beg for a moment with his son. Cypress' offspring would be strong and beautiful. Females would swoon. Baobab would be given much in trade for a chance at one of his son's seeds taking root in some female's belly. Even more would be given when he offered up a chance to win his heart as a life-mate.

Pine swore when Baobab spoke of this plan, his skin would turn green with envy. Pine felt that in his youth he hadn't been given a chance to remain beautiful. His hands were rough and calloused by years of endless work. Scars of battles between himself and boars or hateful bears stuck out from his skin with no disappearing in sight. Now a beautiful Cypress would get to live in luxury and spend no days suffering, while he had spent his life raising offspring that wasn't of his seed. Pine loved his brothers, but bitterness stung his throat.

To run through the woods... To have nothing calling him home... The mere idea of having no rope attached to his ankle pulling him back... Pine's heart lurched with hopefulness to have some sort of freedom.

The air seemed tense as he neared their cave. Baobab must've been in a mood. Usually, Pine could avoid it or soothe him with freshly cooked meat. The male must've already awoken and taken his frustrations out on Rowan, whose spasms seemed to worsen when their father was around.