37.

*We've got a few more chapters left guys... Just wanted to give you a heads up so it is not a surprise ♥*

Pine could feel the eyes on him but couldn't seem to spot the Giants who used them. Running faster than he had his entire life, he needed to get to the Tribe ASAP and nothing was going to stop him. The lives of a human female and halfling were depending on him and River had entrusted the duty of finding Briar to him.

He ran as if it were his own mate's life at risk and begged the ancestors to quicken his past. His arms pumped up and down, his long stride took him through the forest quickly, and the feeling of the forest began to change. The magic inside the Tribe was strong and the protectors weren't going to let him in easy.

"Not one of us."

"Not one of us."

"Not one of us."

"Not one of us."

"Not one of us."

Deep voices echoed around him quietly as he jumped over a boulder and landed on his feet with a thud. Pine bit his tongue as he froze looking around. It can't be much further... They knew he was here and they knew he wasn't one of their own.

Tree knocks came from somewhere to the left of him. The three knocks echoed through the woods, the threat apparent. Pine knew there was a possibility that they were going to beat him to the near unconscious and send him back to his own Tribe but he was willing to allow a few to connect with his skull in order to get help. He had already decided fighting back wasn't going to what was going to help him. Not this day.

His breath came out in huffs as he tried to slow his fast-beating heart. Pine took a few shaking steps forward and scanned the dark trees. He had never been able to understand how the protectors of the Tribe were able to camouflage so perfectly. There had to be a touch of magic and a blessing from the Ancestors for it to be so perfect. When he was younger, before the hope had been lost in his young heart, Pine had thought he could one day become a protector of the Tribe and learn their secrets. He found himself now grinning at such an absurd thought and tsked his teeth.

"What are you so happy about?"

Pine's grin fell quickly as a dark fur-wearing Giant emerged from behind a massive tree. His mouth went dry at the sight of him. The dangerous Giant glared his red glowing eyes at him. "Nothing, just a thought crossed my mind about my childhood. I... I admire your magic that keeps you so well hidden." He jerked at his honesty and saw the Giant blink his surprise and cock his head to the side.

"You have ignored our warnings. Turn around and leave." The Giant growl echoed around the dead silent forest and he pointed his finger to behind Pine.

Pine looked around as more Giants showed themselves to him and the forest seemed to grow darker with their threatening presence. He swallowed hard at all of the red glowing eyes. He just wished he could make out their faces. "I need help." He dropped to his knees and hung his head.

"Help?" The one who spoke to him chuckled. "And you come to a Tribe that is not of your home seeking help? I can smell the debt rolling off of you."

Pine looked up as the words stung his chest. "My father's debt has nothing to do with me." It was as if he had been slapped across the face. "But I do not come here for myself. I come seeking the help of Briar. His grandson, River, son of Crow needs him. River's mate, Azzalea had gone into labor and birthed a child. Neither one of them are well and he sent me in his place."

The Giant scoffed. "You expect me to believe this?" He rolled his massive shoulders. "What Giant sends another male to do his bidding?"

Pine twisted his face up at the disrespect the Giant attempted to through on River. He had not known River long, but he did know he liked him. "River has been injured crossing the great river. Please, if you'll just let me speak to Briar -."

Before Pine knew what happened someone came out of nowhere and sucker punched him in the side of his head. He fell over, holding back his groan but seeing sparks before his eyes. "Please," he pleaded through clenched teeth as he sat back up, "the halfling's life is at -"

Another hit came from the other side.

Pine groaned this time as he sat back up, blinking away the darkness that threatened to take him. "Briar needs to come with me." Through blurry vision he saw the male who spoke to him raise his hand, preventing another attack that he refused to defend. He swallowed the blood that filled his mouth. He watched the dark Giant grind his teeth as he looked Pine over once more.

"You will die this day if you are lying."

Pine nodded. "I know."

"I will send one to fetch Briar and four will join you." He froze as Pine's eyes widened with panic. "Speak your secrets now."

Pine felt as if his lungs were shaking. "My two brothers are with them as well."

"Then I shall send eight."

Pine lowered his eyes. "And my mate..."

"A female will not be able to -"

"She is human and with child."

The powerful Giant froze solid.

Pine could hear him breathing. He raised his eyes and straightened his back. "That is the only reason why River, son of Crow, has trusted me. We both have human mates and are fathers to halflings."

All it took was a sharp look from the one standing before him and another had ran to the Tribe to get Briar.

Pine had tried to settle his breathing before they made the journey back but admitting to another male Giant that he was a mate to a human and a father to a halfling caused a sort of excitement. The world was going to know that he and his brother Rowan, were two of the luckiest males on their planet. He imagined this was also how River felt when he wasn't worried for their lives.

It didn't take long for audible footsteps were made on purpose in the woods to announce their return.

Pine looked up and stood when prompted by the one named Briar. The old male was hard to read and as Pine introduced himself, Briar threw his head back to look him over closely. His face held slight contempt but as Pine explained what was happening, the older male's face went from contempt to concern, to extremely worried and was now grey.

"Take me to them." Briar growled and tugged his black fur hood over his short nearly all grey hair and fluffed his beard out. He didn't seem like he needed permission from the one who guarded the forest but Pine was unsure of the correct way to leave. He looked the guard in the eye, who nodded.

Pine turned on his heels and took off as fast as he could. Between himself, Briar, and the other males coming along, he prayed something could be done.

Next update: April 18, 2024!

Just a reminder I will be starting to remove my works from Wattpad. I had thought about posting a few chapters of the edited version (With notes letting folks know its not finished) and directions on where to find them! I will give people a little bit to finish this one as well before removing it. 

Once again, I want to thank all of you who read, comment, vote, and message! I appreciate the ones who had vocally supported  me as well as the ones who are silent readers (you're just as important). I hope to pursue my career as a full-time writer by September!

Sending you love and all the good vibes! 

~Autumn ♥