35.

"It's probably just sprained."

"We don't have time for sprains." River looked over at Azzalea, who was feeding their child once more. Every single step he took brought a sting of pain like no other. He was weak and unsteady. He grit his teeth and shook his head. Now was not a good time for this. "We need to get moving."

"I can walk, River." Azzalea called out and made a face at him.

The males all knew that would put them behind tremendously. The human females could not even think about walking or running at the speed they could. They needed to get going soon, make camp before nightfall, and hopefully not have more than half a day's journey through the forest. This next part of the trip was mostly up a mountain and down the other side. If a pregnant human female had to walk, it could take weeks.

The males all shared a look.

"I'm fine." Rived lied as he held his wince. Tears sprung to his eyes as the pain shot through him like a spear. He held them back and tried his best not to hobble.

"I... I... Ha-have binding." Rowan caught his breath. His head twitched a few times as he looked River over. "I ca-can ha-ha-help you with it it it."

Pine knew the struggle happening inside River now as he contemplated probably this entire event. As he stood with his back straight, chest tight with every breath, and pride still intact, Pine admired him. They were equals, he and River. If Cypress hadn't been there, Pine wasn't sure who would've won the fight. He was sure it would come down to who got tired first but he couldn't decide which of them it would have been.

The male had been weakened trying to help them cross. His child was young and only a halfling. His mate was heavily pregnant, able to birth a child any day by the looks of it. Pine swore her belly had changed from the night before and he could sense the worry coming from the couple.

"We owe you a great deal. Let us begin settling our debt by binding your ankle." Pine dipped his head. Something had to give. He needed to get to Misty Cave Tribe. He longed for his mate to be accepted and given the ability to speak to him.

River shook his head and waved him off. "I am owed nothing." He swallowed, not wanting something for being a decent Giant.

Pine cleared his throat. He would've asked River to step away with him but he knew the pain wouldn't have been worth his own pride. "Our father," he spoke in a low tone praying Azzalea did not hear, "was a male who had many debts. He owed more than he could afford and because of that, we cannot go to our home tribe, Hollow Stone."

River raised his eyebrows and jerked his head up.

"Please, I do not wish to start my relationship with a new Tribe already owing."

"I've done said, you owe me nothing. I help you for the sake of our children and mates." River shook his head once more.

Pine locked eyes with him. They shared a long look. He prayed his message was received. "My brother has issues, I'm sure you've noticed. His tics and constant noises keep him in our home most days and for the most part, he had learned medicine and healing. When we did go to our home Tribe, he spent a great deal in the medicine huts. They tempted to cure him but Rowan took the time to learn. He can wrap your ankle and foot so well, I bet we will be running before too long." Pine took a deep breath. "Please." He pleaded with the male, just as dominant as he.

River took it in and eyed Rowan, whose shoulder had decided to do its own thing. "Why are you like this?"

Rowan shrugged jaggedly. "Ba-blessed or or or or cursed. Who knows."