38.

The app is being weird so if you message me, I don't see it until I log on to my computer! 

Pine held his breath the entire run back. He feared the older male would need to rest but Briar threatened to leave them all behind once he realized the cave his family had taken refuge in. The male spoke to him no more after that and as they ran, at a speed that never waivered, Pine couldn't stop thinking.

Things were becoming real.

Worry set in his head right behind his eyes.

Pine didn't know what he thought would happen but this wasn't it. He had forgotten that things never seem to work out the way that you first intend for it to and the sweat that came from his pores was from more than the running. His female was with child and could have the same problems that Azzalea had. He was no master of medicine and Rowan only knew so much. The idea of a baby was exciting and brought hope but now... Now the hard reality of the world seemed to slap him in the face harder than any Giant could.

He had lost Abigail once... Pine knew he could never lose her again. This world... There would be nothing left and he was sure Rowan would feel the same.

The trees began to look familiar and Pine's chest hitched knowing he had finally made it back. He could smell Cypress somewhere in the trees. "Come out!" He huffed as dodged a tree. Pine could take no more fighting and with Cypress hiding, Pine feared they think he was lying about his good intentions.

Cypress stirred about and made himself known. His eyes were wide at the sight of all the Giants behind Pine and Briar. He spoke not a word and Pine bit his cheek as his brother started back for the campsite. He could hear fires crackling as they entered the tiny clearing.

Pine locked eyes with Rowan who had tightened his grip on Abigail and the child she held.

Briar looked over the human female for less than a heartbeat before disappearing into the short cave. The other Giants looked at the newcomers with narrowed eyes and at the female in curiosity.

Pine took a seat beside Rowan and greeted Abigail by rubbing his hand down her back. She looked at him with a quick smile before she turned back to study the new Giants in her presence.

"Why are they all here?" Rowan whispered.

Pine cleared his throat. "To make sure I am honest." He looked up at Cypress, who was messing around with a fallen tree. He wished his youngest brother would just sit down. Abigail's fear was filling his nostrils and her not understanding was sure to be making her nerves worse. Cypress was causing the other Giants to become uneasy. It was their job to protect their Tribe and Cypress was someone they had never met before. "Cypress," Pine barked at him and jerked his head toward the open spot by the fire, "now."

Cypress looked at him and then at the unfamiliar Giants.

Pine swallowed as the newcomers waited to see how the interaction played out. Now was not the time... Now was not the place for Cypress to try to test his dominance. Tension settled in the middle of the back. His youngest brother blinked and then sighed, taking the place he had been told to. Pine felt the sweat dripping under his fur. "Has anything happened since I've left?" He tried to sound more calm but the anger inside of him wished to well over. He just wanted to swat Cypress over the head one good time and remind him of his place.

Rowan licked his lips. "Ri-ri-river took the baby from his ma-mate and held her. She has wa-warmth now but..." He trailed off shaking his head.