33.

"The water is high, up to my chest and it will be cold."

Was it fate? Had the ancestors guided River's clan to meet his own on the very same path to the Misty Cave Tribe?

Pine was never one to think too hard about it but it was a little difficult to not assume this whole experience was being guided by the hands of their ancestors instead of simply pure coincidence.

Nevertheless, Pine was thankful. River, though their original interaction had been highly stressful, had gotten over things pretty quickly and opened up. He knew the way that they were to travel and had walked the same journey miles over.

Pine looked over at Abigail as she spoke to Azzalea in excited chirps. A smile played upon his lips as Abigail laughed heartily. It was nice for his mate to have someone to talk to. Though he wished it was him and jealously threatened to sting his chest, Pine found comfort in knowing that soon Abigail could also have the ability to speak his language.

River had mentioned the ceremony rather quickly after Azzalea spoke to them all with grunts and growls, relaying Abigail wished to camp for the night. He worried about the smoke and the trance she would be put under but there was nothing he could do about what needed to be done. As soon as they said there was a chance he would be able to speak to her unhindered by differences, Pine's heart must've been heard as it lurched because Rowan and Cypress looked at him. He longed to whisper in her ear and she actually comprehended the words he spoke. Pine was all too ready to pour the feelings that overwhelmed his chest out to her. It had never settled well with him that she had no idea how he truly felt. Pine had only hoped she could at least feel it.

"How much further from the river to the Tribe?" Cypress rubbed his still aching jaw. He was anxious to get there. He wasn't even allowed to look at Abigail anymore. When it was all said and done, Cypress noticed a look of pain on Abigail's face. Almost as if she had bit her cheek as she chewed her food or stubbed her toe and was attempting to hold back curses.

"We run until the females can't take it anymore, camp once more, and then another run. Hopefully a shorter one. I am sorry we do not have another sleeping place for you to use. Azzalea doesn't like the traveling caves and since we've had a child, I don't either." River shook his head and tugged on his braided beard.

Pine recognized the same weakness he had in himself. These females were going to be the death of them. "We will make something temporary." He glanced at Rowan, who already had ideas. "But we appreciate you allowing us to travel with you and your family."

"It is fate," River growled shaking his head. "Though I wish we weren't traveling once again with Fawn so overly pregnant. She will never say she is hurting and tired, but I can tell in every step she takes. Creek also keeps her running most days." He looked down at the toddler halfling playing with the end of his beard.

Rowan and Pine had noticed the eyes of the halfling were so innocent and pure. When the young creature looked at them, it was as if he could see right down to your soul and they both had sworn the child's eyes had gone from a sparkling blue to a dark green. Pine couldn't be certain, but now as Creek gave him another casual glance, his eyes were a golden brown. He wondered if it was just a trait of halflings.

~~~~~

Creek yelled out for his mama and walked over with his arms up for Azzalea to pluck him from the ground.

"So does he speak Giant or English?" Abigail smiled up to Rowan as he handed her a cooled piece of meat on a stake.