24.

The terror inside her filled every inch. The screams were not helping but she couldn't stop them from leaving.

She had done this before. Abigail distinctly recalled being bashed around in the same manner. Any moment now a terrible thud would happen and she would be unconscious. Abigail just knew it.

Keeping her eyes squeezed shut, Abigail was prepared for it. Feeling her kayak twist and knowing she was backward, she covered her face with her hands.

Any second she was going to be bashed on either side by the big boulders in the rushing river.

Any moment now a rock would crack her skull open.

Nothing...

The water still rushed around her but her kayak seemed to have found a safe place to float down, even if she was still backward.

The deafening sound of the river caused chills to run up and down her spine as the waiting nearly sent her into some sort of spiraling panic attack.

Then out of the unforgiving racket, a growl made its way into her ears.

Abigail's body tensed. "There's no way." Her eyes were still closed, and she realized this must be death. This was Hell. She would be destined to hear rushing water and the faint voice of Pine for the rest of her eternity. Where she had truly wanted to be would always be just out of reach.

Numbly, she felt her kayak moving and then again Pine's voice came to her ears. He was calling her whatever it was he always said when they cuddled together. Pine always whispered in her ear and Abigail was sure it was nothing but praises and pet names.

"Little Flower."

Abigail's head swooned as she heard the crunch of pebbles and dirt under her kayak and Pine's voice echoed in her ear. Then she felt his calloused fingertips on her cheek.

Her eyes opened wide and they ached as the bright sun assaulted them. A shadow provided comfort and she blinked back the tears that threatened to fall. Her vision was blurry for only a moment before it settled and locked in on Pine's sunken face. She didn't hear him but watched his mouth move, calling her the same name he called her since the beginning. "Pine?" Her voice left in a squeak.

Quicker than a camera flash, Abigail jumped up from the kayak and flung herself into the arms of the soaked Sasquatch. "Pine!"

"Little Flower," Pine felt something in his chest crack and tears flooded from his eyes as he embraced his tiny human mate, "I have missed you so bad. I love you so much and I'll never let you go again." He held her tight as she cried into his furry chest. "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry."

Abigail trembled as she wiped her eyes. With a shaking head, she looked up into his face and then caught movement from the woods out of the corner of her eye. Rowan was running toward her while Cypress stood just at the tree line.

"Abigail!" Rowan called out, running and then sliding to her on his knees.

"I've missed you guys so much!" Tears and snot ran from her just like the river. Abigail's lips found Rowan's, who shook as he cupped her face. They shared a brief kiss and then she turned to Pine, sharing a kiss with him as well.

"I... I... I... Knew, knew, knew, knew you'd be ba-ba-back." Rowan rolled his shoulder over and over.

Abigail looked them over in disbelief. It was as if their moment of reunion had been paused and life slowed down. She, Pine, and Rowan stood in a circle. Strong hands petted her and gave her so much comfort in the few moments they had been reunited than she had felt in the past week.