Chapter 62

Esmé arrived at the academy, her nerves high. She exited the carriage and thanked her driver, walking across the lawn towards the large building.

"Esmé!"

The younger woman jumped but looked over and seen Jane who smiled at her, walking over to her.

Esmé smiled and picked up her pace a bit. "Jane!" She said happily, opening her arms to hug her.

The woman hugged her tight, Esmé laughing a bit at the urgency and hugging her just as tight, having to drop her bags.

"I haven't seen you in so so long." Jane says, her arms wrapped tight around her.

"I know! I've missed you so much. How's everyone in your loop?" Esmé asked with a smile.

"We've been doing wonderful. What about-" Jane was cut off by Miss Crow.

"This certainly is a nice reunion and all, but Miss Gyr still has to meet the ymbryne she'll be mentoring." The old woman said as she approached them.

"Oh, yes, right, I'm sorry." Esmé apologized, picking up her bag and heading towards the building behind the old woman, Jane following quietly behind.

"This is your student." Miss Crow said, gesturing to a young woman. "Tiana Robin. And this is your mentor, Esmé Gyr."

The younger woman had dark brown hair with small freckles covering her cheeks and piercing brown eyes.

"Hello, a pleasure to meet you." Esmé says with a small smile, holding her hand out.

Tiana sent her a small smile back, shaking her hand while avoiding eye contact. "You too."

"I suppose we should both go unpack." Esmé says with a small chuckle. "It's a pleasure to be your mentor, I plan to help you as much as I can."

The woman nods with a small smile, clearly nervous. She wasn't planning to have the head of the council as her mentor.

Miss Crow left them to go about their business after telling them which rooms they'd be in. "Walk with me." Esmé said gently to the young woman. She hesitated but listened, following her down the hall. "There's no reason to be nervous, dear. I'm nothing like most ymbrynes."

"I'm not nervous." She says with a small smile.

"I can tell, dear." She says softly and they stopped in the hall. "This will be your room. Mine seems to be two doors down from here if you need anything."

Tiana nodded and moved to enter her room. "I'll see you tomorrow for lessons, darling." Esmé said with a smile, walking down the hall.

Esmé didn't see the blush that trailed across the students cheeks. Tiana was around Esmés physical age, she seemed mature enough that she wouldn't have to worry too much over the girl.

While Esmé was unpacking, she heard a knock on her door and Jane came in.

"I think your student likes you." Jane said with a smile.

"I hope so, we're going to spend a week together. She seems nice. I don't know why I was so worried about coming here." Esmé said as she unpacked.

"Well, it's understandable. The older mentors and everything." Jane says. "But with you being head if the council, there's nothing here you need to worry about. And you have me here." She says with a smile, helping her unpack.

"Ah yes, of course. You'll defend me from anything." Esmé said with a small laugh.

"Your knight in shining armor." Jane chuckled.