Chapter 44

"I don't want to leave you." Alma groaned as she laid in Esmé's bed, staring at the ceiling.

It was only two weeks before the older woman was graduating, Esmé still having yet another two years to finish on her own.

"I don't either." Esmé sighed. "I don't know how I'll last two more years here without you."

"Do you think I could stay?" She asks, glancing over at her and Esmé sayed nothing as she looked over at the wall.

"I don't know. If you're ready though, don't have me hold you back." She says softly.

"I want to have a loop with you, in all honesty. I'm not sure what I'll do without you around." Alma sighed.

"I'm sure you'll find wards that you will love and cherish." Esmé says optimistically, sending her a small smile.

"But I want to love and cherish you too." Alma said as she took Esmé's hand in hers.

Esmé blushed and tried to distract herself. "Where will you make your loop?"

"I'm not quite sure yet. I'm pretty sure Miss Avocet decides where we place our loops." Alma says softly.

"Can you ask to be nearby? I'd like to at least visit sometimes." Esmé said with a frown.

"I can try, but I overheard her talking to Miss Crow and Miss Raven about sending me to make a loop in Wales." Alma says, Esmé looking at her confused.

"How far is that from here?"

"About 2 hours, 12 minutes and 27 seconds, if you take the ferry." Alma says.

"That's..still far." Esmé says with a small sigh.

"There's a possibility I could stay." Alma offers.

"Do you really think Avocet would let you?"

"I'm her favorite, I'm sure she'll at least listen to what I have to say." Alma said gently.

"Not if it involves me. Did you see how she acted towards you with other things you brought up?"

"At least be positive, Esmé." Alma snaps and the younger woman fell quiet.

"I'm sorry." Esmé said, tears in her eyes. She hated it when Alma snapped at her.

The older woman looked over her for a moment and sighed, gently running her hand through her hair.

"I'll get this figured out. Even if she makes me leave, I'll still find a way to see you." Alma says softly.

"Promise.?" Esmé asked sadly not wanting to lose the older girl.

"I promise, I'm not leaving you." Alma said, wrapping her arms around Esmé gently.

Esmé hugged her tightly back, leaning against her and enjoying her presence.

Alma hugged her tight, suddenly digging her talons into her sides and a laugh escaped the younger woman's mouth.

"I love you." Alma said as she looked down at the younger girl.

"I love you more." Esmé said with a smile, blushing slightly.

The older woman gently pushed her down onto the bed, her waist between her legs and she carefully cupped her face in her hands, running her thumbs over Esmés cheeks.

"I love you most." Alma said softly as she looked down at her. Esmé blushed and smiled up at her.

"If you insist." She says softly, leaning into her touch. A knock on the door drew them apart and Alma quickly moved away, seeing Miss Hummingbird.

"Hello, dears. I just came to see how you were doing." She said with a gentle smile.

"We're alright." Alma responds, busy at Esmés desk as if she was doing homework while the younger woman held a book.

"I just came by to let you kkno the graduation ceremony will be happening towards the end of next week." She says softly.

"Oh alright. Do you know where they're going to locate me?" Alma asked.

"There's been some talk about Wales, Cairnholm."

"Is there any other ymbrynes there?" Alma asked out of curiosity.

"No, at least not in that location." Miss Hummingbird says.

"Do you think they'd let Esmé have a loop there too? In a few years once she's ready?" Alma asked.

"Well there would have to be a lot of peculiars in the area that need a home. And there's no guarantee they'd send Esmé."

Alma hummed and sent her gaze to the floor for a moment.

"I'm sure you two could visit eventually." Miss Hummingbird says with a supportive smile.

"There have been ymbrynes that have shared loops in the past, why can't we?" Alma asked.

"Well with more peculiars being found in different areas, it would be best to have ymbrynes spread out throughout the world."

"Right, bad question." Alma sighed.

"I'll do what I can? Okay?" Miss Hummingbird said gently.

"It's alright if you can't." Esmé says softly, not wanting to get Miss Avocet fired up again.

"You two are amazing together, alright? I didn't exactly get what I'd hoped for with my partner. I want the best for you two." Miss Hummingbird smiled softly.

"Your partner?" Alma asks, snapping her gaze over at her.

"Well, he doesn't exactly come to the academy." She says with a light smile. "Don't worry over it. I'll see you dears later in class." She says, gently shutting the door.

"Miss Avocet is horrible at her job." Esmé groaned. "She comes after us when we're not even together but just ignores other relationships? It's not fair."

"That's because she doesn't know." Alma mentions. "And even if she did, they're not people she sees as very important to her." She says in a quiet voice, staring down at the wooden desk.

"Come here." Esmé says softly after a moment.

Alma stood up and moved to sit beside her on the bed. Esmé wrapped her arms tightly around Alma, bringing her down onto the bed.

"You do know you shouldn't have to live your life trying to constantly please her." Esmé says softly by her ear. "You're graduating, she shouldn't have control over what you do forever."

"I know but.. I can't not." Alma sighed. "Esmé I love you." She said as she looked over the younger girl carefully.

"I love you too, but really Alma, you need to stand up for yourself and not just for me." Esmé says softly.

"No, Esmé, I mean I.." She trailed off not wanting to say it and a deep blush took over her cheeks. "Nevermind."

"Is something wrong?" Esmé asked with a small frown.

"No, it's not important. Just, let's cuddle." Alma said as she hugged her tightly.