Chapter 36

"Alma, Alma, Alma! Wake upppp!" Esmé said as she shook the older girl's shoulder.

The older girl groaned and looked up at her with a raised eyebrow.

"What?"

"It's Christmas! Get up, get up!" Esmé says, taking her hand and lifting her up off the bed.

"And why exactly are you so excited?" Alma asked with a smile.

"Because one, they're going all out on meals today. And two, I got you something."

Alma chuckled when the younger woman dragged her across the room, getting out a small box.

"Should I be scared?" Alma asked as Esmé handed the box to her. "Is this a proposal?" She joked.

"You wish." Esmé joked with a smile and Alma chuckled despite feeling a bit of disappointment.

Alma opened the box and gasped at the necklace inside. "Oh, Esmé. This is- how much was this? I can't accept it."

"Don't worry over the price." She says softly with a smile and nodded for her to take it out. Alma carefully lifted the necklace in her hand, seeing the navy blue gem in the middle of an engraved bird.

"Alma are you okay?" Esmé asked when she noticed the tears in her eyes.

"Of course, it's just, it's been so long since I've been gifted something." Alma says softly as she looked over the necklace fondly.

"Will you put it on me?" She asked gently. Esmé nodded and took it from her hands, moving to put it around her neck. Alma moved her hair out of the way so Esmé could clip it.

Once it was on Esmé faced the older girl and fixed her hair, smiling at her. "Beautiful."

Alma blushed and thanked her, smiling when she seen the necklace on her.

Alma turned and pressed a gentle kiss to her lips. "Thank you, darling." She said softly.

Esmé blushed a muttered you're welcome before Alma leaned over to kiss her deeply.

"Now I feel bad. My gift isn't nearly as good." Alma said as she brought Esmé into her arms, holding her gently.

"I doubt that." Esmé says softly, hugging her tight before pulling away.

Alma smiled and moved to go grab Esmé's gift. "Alright now tell me if you don't like it and I'll get you something else."

"I highly doubt that, Alma." Esmé says with a small laugh.

"Well I suppose it's a couple things." Alma said with a chuckle, pulling out the two wrapped gifts. "This one first." She held out one that was large and flat, keeping a small box in her other hand.

Esmé gently opened it, her heart fluttering when she seen what was inside.

"You got me a new sketchbook?" Esmé grinned.

"I haven't seen much of your art, but I thought you might like this." Alma said with a smile.

"Thank you." Esmé says softly with a smile.

"Of course." Alma says and hands her the next thing.

Esmé opened it and grew red in the face when she saw the earrings. "Alma these are beautiful."

"I seen them and thought you would like them." She says, a hint of pride in her voice from her reaction.

Esmé grinned and wrapped her arms tightly around Alma, kissing her deeply.