Chapter 24

"Want to stay up late tonight lovely?" Alma asked Esmé with a smile.

"Always, I can never sleep anyways." Esmé smiled and gave her a small kiss.

"So what are you planning on doing?" Esmé asked with a smile.

"Well it's been a day or so since we've shared stories." Alma says with a shrug.

"Without the children?" Esmé asked with a smile.

"You know you love reminiscing with me."

"That I do." She says softly, moving to sit down on the woman's lap and lay against her, Alma bringing her arms around her waist.

"Now where did we leave off?" Alma asked with a smile.

Esmé looked up at her and started the story.

Esmé arrived back at the academy late that night. She found Alma in her room, pacing and looking around worriedly.

The older girl looked over and ran over to her, bringing her into a tight hug as she shut the door.

"Where have you been?" Alma says, obviously upset.

"I'm sorry, I left for a while." Esmé said softly.

"You scared me!" Alma said upset, it was obvious she'd been crying.

Esmé felt hurt at the fact she made her so upset and the older girl hugged her tight.

"I was so so worried Miss Avocet sent you home. I thought you left, I didn't want you to leave." She says, her eyes tearing up.

"I'm not leaving you." Esmé said gently. "I will never, ever leave you. I love you too much." She said as she held Alma in her arms. Esmé rested a hand on Alma's cheek and pressed a gentle kiss to her lips.

The older girl looked over her, equally worried but relieved to see her.

"Where were you then?" She asks softly, moving down to hug her even more and the younger girl brought her down on the bed with her, exhausted from her long fly.

"I was flying, nowhere in particular, I just... needed a break." Esmé said gently.

"Please tell me next time." Alma said, tears in her eyes. "I was so worried you left me."

"No, I would never leave you, look at me." Esmé says softly, cupping the girls face in her hands. "I would never leave you, Alma."

"Promise?" She asked gently. "Please promise me you'll never leave me."

"I'm never going to. I promise." Esmé says softly, pressing a small kiss on her forehead.

"But then I had to leave you." Alma says, interrupting the story and then looked up at her with a teary eyed look. "Esmé, I'm so sorry."

"It's alright Alma, I understand." Esmé said softly, pressing a kiss to her wife's lips.

"I told you not to leave when I couldn't even stay myself." Alma says, hiding her face against the crook of her neck and Esmé held her close, kissing her cheek.

"Alma, I'm not upset with you at all. Really I'm not, please don't cry." Esmé says softly as she felt the older woman tighten her hold on her.

"I swear I'm never going to leave you again." Alma said as she held Esmé. "I promise. I'm staying with you forever.”

"I know, love. I know, I love you and I know you're never going to leave." Esmé says softly as she held the older woman. "Do you want to get comfortable upstairs? We don't have to go to bed just yet, but it might be more comfortable for you." She says softly, placing a soft kiss between her eye brows.