Chapter 2

Christina

The way Logan was watching me with hatred filled in his eyes, I knew he had not forgiven me. I had nothing against him, and I would not forgive myself if I were in his place.

"Can you please explain the fifth and sixth points once again? I have a few doubts about it," Logan said, making me sigh in relief. 

I began explaining the points again, and even though I tried to stay calm, I couldn't help the sweating of my palms and my wavering voice. I had never imagined that I could come across Logan in my life again, and to face him as my new Boss was the worst turn my life could ever take.

The same deep voice interrupted me again, but this time, it was directed towards Jonathan.

"Mr. Smith, I tied up with your company thinking you hired the best people out there, but I am disappointed with your choice of employees. If they can't give a proper presentation, how are they supposed to work on this multi-billion dollar project?" Logan was addressing Jonathan, but his whole attention was on me.

My face flushed from embarrassment as gasps and chuckles sounded in the conference room at his remark. I held the table's edge to balance myself, staring at Logan in disbelief. Never had I thought he might start humiliating me the moment he stepped into my life.

I was worried that he might try to confront me, but it dawned on me that his hate ran deeper than I had ever imagined. There was no doubt left in my mind that Logan would not let go of what happened in our past. He would surely make my life difficult for me that he had found me. 

Jonathan, sitting beside Logan, was glaring at me with a menace in his beetle eyes, and before Jonathan could say anything in reply, Logan continued.

"I don't think we could work together if your company couldn't provide quality work. I have a reputation to maintain, and I wouldn't let anyone's half-ass work ruin it," Logan's voice clanked like icicles from coldness.

My hold on the table tightened, and my knuckles turned white as tears stung in my eyes, wanting to break out, and I tried hard to blink them away—the room filled with murmurs, some sympathizing and some mocking me. Joan and Samuel looked uncomfortable in their seats, puzzled at the situation. There was nothing wrong with my presentation. I had been working on it for weeks and had covered all points. Logan was trying to harass me on purpose, and I was starting to realize he would not hesitate to bring our private matters into our professional lives.

"Samuel, take over the presentation. Ms. Williams, you are no longer needed in the meeting," Jonathan's harsh voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

My eyes snapped to Jonathan, who was glowering at me in rage with a clenched jaw, while Logan had a smirk on his handsome face. I tore my gaze away from him, pulled my hands from the table, picked my laptop and other stuff from it with a sinking heart and shivering hands, and walked out of there.

Placing my stuff on my desk in the cubicle, I dashed to the restroom and hid in a stall, crying my eyes out. Logan hates me. I should have expected this, but it still hurt me.

He was the only man I had ever loved and wanted in my life, and knowing he hated me to the extent that he didn't even hesitate once to humiliate me in a room full of people was making my heart bleed. I was not able to control my flowing tears. The heartache that I felt at this moment was beyond description.

I had no idea how much time passed when a knock sounded on the door of the stall, "Christina, I know you are in there, but there is no use crying over those assholes," Joan's soft voice sounded from the other side of the door. 

I wanted to tell her to leave me alone, but she was my only friend apart from Samuel, and I didn't want to lose her.  She had always been there for me whenever I needed her, and I couldn't act like a bitch with her.

"If you don't open the door, I won't hesitate to break it," She threatened at my silence.

"How did you find me?" I asked between sobs, wiping my tears.

"This isn't the first time you have cried because of something in the office, and I came looking for you," she replied, sighing.

Joan was the only one of the female employees of our company that gave a shit about me. Apart from her, everyone else hated me, especially Cynthia. She was from HR and was hungry for promotion. She was the type who didn't hesitate to get in bed with someone if it meant they could attain something from it.

She had been trying to lure Jonathan into bed, and if it were up to me, I would have been happy for them. They both deserved each other. But he had his eyes on me; he had already been through four wives, and now he wanted me to be the number fifth.

"Are you coming out?" Joan's impatient voice brought me broke the chain of thoughts.

Pushing myself to my feet, I unlocked the door and stepped out. My eyes met with Joan's green eyes, which warmed me. She hugged me tightly, and I let go of her embrace.

"I am so sorry about what happened. I thought Jonathan was the only asshole, but this man, Logan, is way worse," she said, rubbing my back.

I stayed silent in response, unsure whether to tell her my history with Logan. What could I have said to her? Joan would have hated me too after discovering the truth, and I couldn't afford to lose her.

"I am okay," I said, pulling away from her.

"You sure?"

"Yeah," I replied, avoiding looking into her eyes.

Joan helped me fix my disheveled state. We walked out of the restroom together and went to my desk. Samuel was saying something to Lydia in a low voice. The moment they noticed us, they both fell silent.

"Mr. Smith wants to see you in his office; don't make him wait," Lydia informed, passing me a sympathetic look.

My heart thudded against my ribcage. This was not a good sign. Why had Jonathan called me in his office?

"Do you think he will fire her?" Someone from the next cubicle whispered loud enough for me to hear.

"He has been wearied of her incompetence for so long, I don't think he would let her stay after what happened today," another employee answered.

I wanted to lash out at them that I was not incompetent and that Jonathan was a pervert, but it would only worsen my reputation.

"I don't understand what he sees in her,  that she is still sticking around?" another voice sounded, which undoubtedly belonged to Cynthia. 

"Is there a problem?" Samuel asked from beside me with a clenched jaw.

Shutting down the three bitching women for good. I had never been more grateful to God for blessing me with a friend like Samuel, but this was my war to fight and not his.

I touched Samuel's arm and said, "You don't need to fight my battles for me."

"I wouldn't be a good friend if I let people humiliate my friend in my presence," he replied in a strained voice.

"It's okay. I am not bothered by their false accusations," I lied.

Samuel passed me an accusing look, and I diverted my gaze from him, unable to look into his eyes anymore.

"I should better hurry and not make Jonathan angrier than he already is," I smiled in an attempt to lighten the mood, but my stomach was churning.

What if he fired me?

What would I do? How would I pay the bills? What about Mom's medicines? I had spent my little savings on the vacation, and now my bank account was hitting rock bottom.

I hurried towards Jonathan's office in despair and stepped inside after knocking on the door. I felt someone knock the air out of my lungs when I saw Logan in his office,  standing near the window and looking out.

What was Logan doing there?