Chapter 5

Christina

I stared at Logan in disbelief. How could he say something like that? Did he want me to clean the spilled coffee? Logan watched me with his brown eyes engulfed in coldness.

"I am not a janitor," I blurted out.

"If you had paid attention to what I said, Ms. Williams, you would have noticed that I asked who was going to get the mess cleaned and not who was going to clean the mess," Logan taunted, making me flush with embarrassment.

The finance and the HR heads shifted on their spots, undoubtedly uncomfortable with the situation. They both were good men, unlike Jonathan and as far as Logan was concerned, he had been behaving like a complete asshole.

"It seems you need to work on your grammar as much as your presentation and coffee-making skills, " he mocked with a devilish smirk on his handsome face.

Fresh tears stung my eyes from his constant humiliation. I couldn't believe he was the same man who couldn't see a single tear in my eyes.

"Christina, you can leave, and don't forget to send a janitor after you," Jonathan instructed.

I wanted to turn and run from there, but I knew Logan would use it to insult me. Sighing, I looked at Logan, who watched me with a predatory glint in his eyes.

"Do I have your permission to leave, Mr. De La Roche?" I asked, crushing my self-respect that urged me to slap him hard and resign from that job.

But by the time I would get another job in that ongoing recession, it would be too late for Mom without her medicines.

"I am glad you are learning," he replied with a wicked grin.

Turning on my heels, I exited that hell hole as fast as possible. Sending the janitor to his office, I came and slumped on the chair in my cubicle.

"Is everything okay?" Samuel asked in a concerned voice.

"Yes," I lied.

"You don't look okay to me," his voice held accusation.

I knew Samuel cared about me, not just in a way that one friend would care about the other. But I couldn't bring myself to reciprocate his feelings for me. I valued him as a friend and nothing more than that. My life was already a cluster fuck, and I didn't want to involve anyone else in it. And as long as I had Aiden, I didn't need anyone else in my life.

"It's nothing new, Samuel," I said in a tired voice when he kept staring at me, "I have gotten habituated to the bullying."

"I don't understand why you allow them to bully you?" He asked with resentment.

Samuel came from a good family. His parents were well settled and didn't need his help, while I, on the other hand, had several financial and social obligations.

"Why don't you let me help you?" He questioned.

"You don't understand, Sam, my life is complicated. I don't want anyone else to get involved in this mess, especially my friends," I answered in a wearied voice, then sighed and closed my eyes.

I only wanted to be alone at that moment. Today's events had exhausted my mind and body, and all I wanted to do was crawl into bed with Aiden and fall asleep with him in my arms.

"You call me a friend and then refuse to accept my help," Samuel's complaining tone made me open my eyes and look at him.

He watched me with his green eyes filled with anger. I knew he was genuinely concerned for me, but I couldn't pull him into this abyss with me.